The joys of grandparenthood

Newt

The youngest of my offspring is in his mid-30s and I haven't had a youngster around other than for a day or a weekend visit. I had totally forgotten how active the little blessed events can be.

We have taken a 12 y/o grandson Isaac for the summer and whew!!!! Great kid but busy and bouncy and excited and ......

We are spending the summer on the grounds of a gold mine with plenty of room for him to roam and to give our lab/beagle mix pup of about 2 years a better summer than he'd have with just us old folks. Next week, I plan to find out of the lad enjoys fishing since we are only 3-4 miles from a largish lake and not much further from several others but meanwhile, he is keeping busy with important tasks.

Guarding possible gold bearing rocks in front of the campground store

isaac-guarding-ore-800.jpg

Walking recon for a combat patrol of some sort

isaac-walking-point-800.jpg

Making sure the people panning for gold are safe from claim jumpers

panning-800-3.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Aye Newt,love my grandbairns to bits and am really pleased when they are brought around (aged 6 and 7) Being so active and full of energy/always on the go they tend to tire me out after a full day of looking after them !!! The hugs/kisses/funny moments more than make up :thumbs:

Great photos Newt :camera: and enjoy the summer. Give Jan a hug from me :kissing:

John

ps trying to work out how long ago that boat charter from Amble was when we all met up ?? Was it 1996??? :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

1996 + 10

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

1996 + 10

Just seeing if you would spot the deliberate mistake Newt ;)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Looks very organised, do the young ones have a chance of finding real gold ?

I only ask as we have fake gold hunts for kids over here, involving deliberatly placed iron pyrites (fools gold) It keeps the kids interested and they get a plastic medal if they find enough :cry:

The troughs are simply to provide water for using the pans. That's about the only organisation involved.

The quartz you buy is yours and yes, there is available gold in most of it. The finder can keep it or the store will purchase it.

Youngsters have a more difficult time since panning can be tedious and needs to be done carefully but they certainly do find colour. It is rare for someone to put in a day and not leave with a gram or 5 of shiny and fairly pure gold flake plus some black sand that contains more pieces that were too small to notice.

People who have a sluce (theirs or a rental from the store) can go to the creek and buy a scoop load or two to process using the running water in creek or High Bank using water from pumps.

Ziggy - I found this article that includes results and comments from an 11 & a 12 y/o about panning at the Cotton Patch site and others.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/2009...d-economy_N.htm

Cheers Newt, interesting that the mercury is still in the rivers, can't be good for the fish or anyone that eats em.

Used to find bits of gold when i lived in the welsh mountains, only thin flakes on quartz though.

The fishing was fun. Some bites, all missed, but next time. Lots of rain the two preceeding days and there was lots of current which slowed things down.

This area is just downstream from a big dam and while we were after smallish fish, there is always the chance a 30 lb catfish will decide a worm looks like a good snack. In that case and with light tackle in moving water, it would probably be a matter of how quickly you could tighten down and let the fish break the weaker hook length and shed the #4 hook.

isaac-fishing-3.jpg

isaac-fishing-2.jpg

Is that the same water we blanked on Newt?? STUPENDOUS scenery though eh?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))