Would a universal Flex Rating benefit us?

smudger564

Hi, Iv'e been wondering how to word this, but here goes. Some months ago, I was talking with Stevie Parkes, of Zenith Fly Rods and latterly with a leading retailer and got to thinking of what would benefit the new rod buyer.

Besides the look of a rod, it's furniture and fittings if you will, how would a new rod be able show it's power? When you pick a rod up, you don't know it's true potential until you try it.

Some retailers don't have a trial area, where you can put the rod through it's paces. So what can we do to help the new rod purchaser, in having some idea of what he is spending his money on? The answer has to be a Universal Rating system, similar to that of fly line ratings.

It doesn't have to be difficult either. For instance, you could use a semi-circle with the easy casting action on the left, middle to tip in the centre and Fast tip on the right. We've all seen rods, depicted as crisp actioned or more middle than tip, but a better description, would be a diagram that is simple and straight forward. A picture paints a thousand words they say.

Why let someone spend money unnecessarily, when in the blink of an eye, they have an idea of a rods, flex and it's true characteristcs. I think this would benefit everyone and save time and money.

The only difficult part now, is getting people to see what they think about it, plus any other recommendations.

If you think this is feasable then let me know. I'd be interested in your comments.

Best Regards

Smudger564

It doesn't have to be difficult either. For instance, you could use a semi-circle with the easy casting action on the left, middle to tip in the centre and Fast tip on the right. We've all seen rods, depicted as crisp actioned or more middle than tip, but a better description, would be a diagram that is simple and straight forward. A picture paints a thousand words they say.

Good idea.....but....

The system would probably not be any better than the present power ratings - which seem to be quite arbitrary in the case of some manufacturers - and vary quite a bit from one manufacturer/importer to another - two manufacturers, with two different ratings, but the two rods are both built on the same blank!!

"Feels like a #5 Joe, but let's market it as a #4 and tap the light tackle market"

There is really no substitute for trying a rod yourself, in the shop (or getting an experieced mate to do it for you if you are new to fishing)

....or you can take a punt on a mail-order outfit.....or fleabay.....

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Much as though I love simplistic solutions on this occasion there isn't one we all cast in slightly different ways. My own style suits very fast tapered rods that deliver very tight loops other peoples style suits other different types of rod action and this is as it should be!

The current situation imperfect as it may be tends to suit the majority though more tackle purveyors with a casting area would be an improvement.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan