rigs

scott angler 1

I've got an even better tip - concentrate all your efforts into location and feeding and what rig you use pales into almost insignificance. I assume you're talking about carp, so anything with a very sharp hook, short hooklength and semi-fixed lead of at least 1.5oz (inline) or 2.5oz (pendant) that doesn't tangle will work. As will running leger (maybe with a feeder) or a float, depending on the venue.

Find them, don't scare them, and get them feeding and you're 95% of the way there. There seems to be a thing in carp fishing that the rig is the be-all and end-all, and it sends people down a confusing and irrelevant cul de sac. The successful carpers don't catch more than other anglers because of their rigs, their rods, their indicators or their bivvy.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - sorry :)

The time to start looking at yor rigs is when pick-ups are not being converted into proper bites, when the rigs are tangling, or when fish are falling off.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi all just wondering if any 1 had any tips for using old rigs may refer to these rigs as i think carp may becoming incresingly aware of the new overused rigs any advice on old style rigs would be appreciated

Anderoo makes some very good points, the only reason to change your rigs is if they are causing you problems or maybe just because you are a "rig nerd" and cant help playing with a set up even when it works. Something I am guilty of from time to time :rolleyes:

What problems if any are you experiencing and what rigs are you currently using? It may help us to give you some advice if we know what you are using at the moment and why you are not happy with it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

The time to start looking at yor rigs is when pick-ups are not being converted into proper bites, when the rigs are tangling, or when fish are falling off.

The voice of reason speaks.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've had exactly this problem this season with my gravel pit tench fishing. Up until now I'd been using a 1.5oz inline lead, 3-4" of 10lb soft, sinking braid hooklength, and a size 10 straight point hook.

For 2 seasons I had no problems with this, and caught lots of tench and even a couple of nuisance bream :rolleyes:

Then I started having problems. The hooks were blunting more often so I bought a hook sharpener. When the hooks lasted longer, the hooklength started to wear out at the eye of the hook. It got to the point where about a quarter of the tench I hooked fell off on the way in because of blunt hooks. Confidence was low.

So I changed the hook from a straight point (ESP Raptor) to a curved point (Korum S3) and the hooklength material from 10lb Drennan Sinkbraid to 15lb Mantis Gold. This was after a LOT of messing about with lots of different alternatives!

Since then I have caught lots of tench, with only one falling off. The hooks don't blunt and the hooklength doesn't wear out. I can heave on stubborn fish and know that everything is solid. Everything else is the same, and confidence is high :)

Little changes can definitely make a huge difference, but unless there's a proper reason for changing, I'd look elsewhere first.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had exactly this problem this season with my gravel pit tench fishing. Up until now I'd been using a 1.5oz inline lead, 3-4" of 10lb soft, sinking braid hooklength, and a size 10 straight point hook.

For 2 seasons I had no problems with this, and caught lots of tench and even a couple of nuisance bream :rolleyes:

Then I started having problems. The hooks were blunting more often so I bought a hook sharpener. When the hooks lasted longer, the hooklength started to wear out at the eye of the hook. It got to the point where about a quarter of the tench I hooked fell off on the way in because of blunt hooks. Confidence was low.

So I changed the hook from a straight point (ESP Raptor) to a curved point (Korum S3) and the hooklength material from 10lb Drennan Sinkbraid to 15lb Mantis Gold. This was after a LOT of messing about with lots of different alternatives!

Since then I have caught lots of tench, with only one falling off. The hooks don't blunt and the hooklength doesn't wear out. I can heave on stubborn fish and know that everything is solid. Everything else is the same, and confidence is high :)

Little changes can definitely make a huge difference, but unless there's a proper reason for changing, I'd look elsewhere first.

What strength mainline are you using with the 15lb hook link? I thought no one went above 12lb for tench at Wingham? Or is there a way to have a heavier hook link then mainline and not risk then mainline breaking before the hooklink?

Errrm

What strength mainline are you using with the 15lb hook link? I thought no one went above 12lb for tench at Wingham? Or is there a way to have a heavier hook link then mainline and not risk then mainline breaking before the hooklink?

Errrm

Oops, missed this before, sorry - 10lb mono mainline. It's the wrong way round I know, but it proved impossible to get a coated braid I liked in less than 15lb. As long as the mainline doesn't snap, it doesn't matter. Even if it does, the lead will fall away. Ironically, I think it's 'safer' to fish like this than with the 10lb uncoated braid I used before, simply because that was more likely to wear out and break, and leave a hook in a fish, if that makes sense!

I also have been searching for a suitable hook link material for some time and wondered when you were playing with different alternatives if you looked at the Suffix Stealthskin as it comes in 10lb test see http://www.brentwoodangling.co.uk/mm5/merc..._Code=XST10G-GA

I have been playing around with Snakeskin in 15lb and was also considering Mantis but having recently come accross the Suffix material I would prefer to use the lower breaking strain if it was any good