How much for a decent Beach Combo?

Christy

{admin note: I merged two topics so there may be some overlap. Newt}

OK so I've been sea fishing before, when on a short five day break in Norfolk in my Aunt's house roughly 2 years ago, unfortunately I live in South-East London. <_< Anyway before the trip my mum very kindly purchased me a humble beginner's set up, along with all of the various paraphernalia I would need to fish from the shore.

The rod was a 12ft Leeda Olympic, paired with a 1BB fixed spool Okuma reel, which has sadly, due to its poor construction, has broken since. When I was fishing over the five days I litterally fished all day - imprudently I failed to take notice of tidal times as I wasn't aware of the effect they had on fishing then. On the first four days I literally caught nothing, however on the fifth I had a great day and caught 3 Dab, 2 Pollack (I think they were Pollack, they may have been a whiting,) and even a small shark! I had an absolute blast and the Dabs and Pollack tasted unlike any fish I had ever tasted before... delicious!

Anyway, I've been reading a lot about Sea fishing from the shore recently and I now have a rough idea of what I need to do in order to improve my success rates, however I know that my tackle definitely is a limiting factor when it comes to range. My understanding is that when it comes to fishing from the shore it's of paramount importance to be able to cast a long distance in order to have any chance of reaching the fish, which can sometimes be in excess of 150 metres away? With the aforementioned outfit I could barely reach 50 metres and I really don't think it's anything to do with my casting - on a good day I can put a 2.25 lead > 80 metres with my carp rod.

I essentially want a quality set up that will last me for many years and is suitable for the south and eastern shores of England, I do not have much money, (I'm currently only making it by babysitting :mellow: ) However I do not mind having to save up for a decent rod and multiplier reel, I just want to catch some Cod, Bass and other tasty fish!

PS: just to fill you in: I've been regularly fishing lakes and rivers for coarse fish for 5 years.

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sorry for the double post, my browser crashed and I assumed it hadn't posted! :(

Edited by Christy

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sorry for the double post, my browser crashed and I assumed it hadn't posted! :(

Depends on what you want really, if its only for a bit of weekend line wetting then you could get a combo for under £20. I bought Mrs Becky a fladen combo for £11 about 8 years ago and its still fine. She upgraded to a longer fladen a few years ago for £35 & I use her old one as a spinning rod, it only gets 65 yards, but sometimes thats all you need.

My main rod is an abu which was on special offer at £160 but i have other beach casters that i probably paid between £30 and £50.

Blimey, I hope Mrs Becky don't read this thread.

"When I die, don't let the Mrs sell my fishing gear for what i SAID i'd paid for it"

You only need to cast as far as the fish are - and sometimes they are right in the edge. Difference is, if you can cast 150 metres and the fish are at 30 metres all well and good, but if they're at 100 metres and you can only cast 60...

I suspect also that a good many beach anglers would find that for some reason they can't cast half as far when measured over grass as they know they can when chucking it out to sea ;)

You only need to cast as far as the fish are - and sometimes they are right in the edge. Difference is, if you can cast 150 metres and the fish are at 30 metres all well and good, but if they're at 100 metres and you can only cast 60...

I suspect also that a good many beach anglers would find that for some reason they can't cast half as far when measured over grass as they know they can when chucking it out to sea ;)

Yeah there do seem to be way too many bulls***ers when it comes to the world of casting! Anyway can you give me some advice?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Depends on what you want really, if its only for a bit of weekend line wetting then you could get a combo for under £20. I bought Mrs Becky a fladen combo for £11 about 8 years ago and its still fine. She upgraded to a longer fladen a few years ago for £35 & I use her old one as a spinning rod, it only gets 65 yards, but sometimes thats all you need.

My main rod is an abu which was on special offer at £160 but i have other beach casters that i probably paid between £30 and £50.

Blimey, I hope Mrs Becky don't read this thread.

"When I die, don't let the Mrs sell my fishing gear for what i SAID i'd paid for it"

lool so true. I hope to be fishing whenever I get the opportunity, maybe once a month. Idealy I would like to learn the pendulum cast so I would like a rod that's up to the task, how long is the rod you have and is a longer rod any harder to cast? Also how much will a decent multiplier cost?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Over the years I have bought a couple of very cheap beach rods, 30 quid or so. They cope with an overhead thump style of casting. If you pendulum cast them, sooner or later they break (or at least, both of mine did). You really do not want to be in the middle of pendulum casting six ounces of lead and a few 2/0 hooks with a broken rod... I eventually bought a Daiwa Supercast for (I think) about £150 and that is more than up to any punishment I can hand out. So, you probably do not need to spend as much as I did, but if you intend learning any of the high performance casting techniques, don't buy the really, really cheap ones either. The Leeda 2XL was the most recent one I broke. I reckon you could pick up a decent rod for 50-60 quid, but that's a guess, better to see if someone has bought something they like at that price point.

Ebay can be your friend, a lot of tackle tarts discard perfectly good equipment, just

because they must have this years model.

I use this rod, great for the south and east beaches. costs nearly £200.-- when i got mine.

Abu suveran SX click here

Bolt on an Abu 6500 Mag Elite and your good to go. Click here

Have used a couple of completed items for example, so you dont get carried away with auctions.

These prices and condition of goods are are you should be able to achieve.

(wish i had spotted the Abu rod at 26 quid, i'd have a nice pair now)

B)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

lool so true. I hope to be fishing whenever I get the opportunity, maybe once a month. Idealy I would like to learn the pendulum cast so I would like a rod that's up to the task, how long is the rod you have and is a longer rod any harder to cast? Also how much will a decent multiplier cost?

Me abu conolon is a 12' fixed spool rod, have had longer but found them to be awkward on a sloping shingle beach. You would need a different rod build for a multiplier, the eyes are spaced regularly on a multiplier build, but on a fixed spool rod the first eye is nearly half way up the rod & bigger, to accomodate the spiralling line as it comes off the reel.

Only had one multiplier & it didn't last very long so i can't really advise on those.

I don't do pendulum but i use a cast that involves tucking a 4oz lead down by my left heel, whilst the rod tip is almost on the ground behind me, my body turned looking back toward the rod tip. I then simply turn toward the sea, bringing the butt of the rod down and the tip up as i turn, this powers the rod up using it full potential & sends the lead blasting out 120 yards. The cast requires hardly any effort either.

I've had the abu for about 7 years now & it regularly gets this treatment so definately up to it.