HELP

Alan Fawcett

Hi All

Ok so this isn't exactly fishing but i figured it would get more views on here.

In the local paper this week there is an article about Izaak Waltons Cottage.

As most of you will know it is at present a museum but the council want to close it due to the "dwindling" number of visitors to the site.

Untill this year it cost quite a bit to get in & the council kept increasing the cost which IMO was killing the visitor numbers, As you may have seen in the national press most museums are now free entry & this includes Izaaks cottage.

According to the article if the visitor numbers don't increase significantly this year then they will close the museum & rent it out as offices or turn it back into a normal cottage so it can be rented out.

IMO this is one of the most important museums there is to an angler so if you happen to be bored one day & you've got nothing better to do why not make a trip to Izaaks cottage & see the place for yourself & help to keep it open for all.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

No problem mate just click

here

&

here

You're not the only one who's never heard of Izaaks cottage so don't worry there, it is the actual cottage he lived in & when he died he left it to the people of Stafford.

Its original thatched roof was replaced years ago because the sparks from the steam trains (i did say years ago) set it alight a few times so a slate roof was put on, this has now gone & once again the thatched roof is back in place.

Running along side the River Sow in Victoria park (Staffords town park) is Izaak Walton Walk so called because (according to an historian who was/is studying Izaak) its along the same side where Izaak himself would have walked & fished, there is a statue on the side of the path to commemorate Staffords greatest son.

Izaak%201.jpg

You'll have to excuse the shark rod but some nice kind thoughtful yobs decided to break the replica cane rod that he was holding which is a shame because it was modeled on one thats in the museum.

There's also a bust of him in St Mary's church in the town centre

bust%202.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't to clever but its only a cheap digicam.

TROGG (Alan)

Alan,

Don't panic, the Council will never turn it into offices or even to a rented cottage.

To do any of this work they would need planning permission and all sorts of rules and regulations that the Council ,have themselves, made.

From the pictures on the website is does not appear to have a bathroom or toilet.

Now you surely cannot rent out any where if it does not have a toilet or washing facilities!.

Now they will not be putting a bathroom inside the existing property as it will alter the character inside and no way will they let an extension be built as it most surely will be a listed building!!!

Basically they are stuffed by their own rules and regulations so I don't think they will be renting it out or letting it out do you?.

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

I dunno Keith

This is the council who screamed about saving the environment & intrusive buildings when a farmer wanted to turn his old dilapidated barn into a flat for his mother.

Then they grant permission for a whole new industrial estate to be built next to junction 14 of the M6 & to top it all the've granted permission for screwfix direct (good company them ) to build a huge new warehouse on there.

This place was a wildlife haven before all the work started including nesting sites for falcons & a badgers set which has obviously all gone now :(

Believe me mate this council see £££ signs & anythings possible.

TROGG (Alan)

ALAN FAWCETT:

Believe me mate this council see £££ signs & anythings possible.

Alan, tell me a council, councillor or politician whose palm doesn't get itchy at the mention of £££££s. IMO lying hypocritical crooks the lot of them.

Phone

Yeah the site would be ideal mate, you might be able to fit it in the herb garden but i would suggest knocking the cottage down & moving it brick by brick to a desert in texas first (bit like London bridge) :P

TROGG (Alan)

Originally posted by ALAN FAWCETT:

Alan

Have you contacted the angling weeklies and the national newspapers over this issue?

I’ll e-mail Mike of the SAA with your post.

If there was ever a case for lottery grant money to keep it running this is the one.

If they can put millions into art galleries to hang dead cows in they can bloody fund this one.

God this site is a prestigious as Old Will’s place or Queeny’s palace.

Sounds to me that the Council is attempting a little stealth trick here!

phil h.

Alan,

Don't let them beat you down on this one. I live very near an important structure that was/is an important part of our "gateway to the west" history. It took nearly two decades to have it declared a national treasure.

Phone

PS BTW, I was informed by private e-mail you were beyond the subject of this thread, HELP. :D

PPSS Ohh, the London Bridge set in a desert in ARIZONA. Amoung the cactus it truly looks like a dimond in a goat's arse. :D:D

[ 24 March 2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: phonebush ]