Harder than Coarse Fishing?

Christy

I'd definitely wait for some feedback from Alan.

OK, it's got some solid reviews. Also how do you know what strength leader you can safely use, is there are a simple rule of thumb for say the line weight? :huh:

Edited by Christy

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Before you part with your money where are you likely to be using the outfit? This is the most important question of all and one that needs an answer before we can provide any decent advice.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Before you part with your money where are you likely to be using the outfit? This is the most important question of all and one that needs an answer before we can provide any decent advice.

As I fore-mentioned small rivers and small to medium commercial still-waters. B)

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Right then for the small rivers you will be looking for a rod in the 8 foot range casting a 3 or 4 weight line as the fishing will be at short to medium range with smallish flies and presentation will matter and when it is low and clear 2lb tippets will be the order of the day ranging up to 5 to 5lb tippets depending on what flies you are using and the conditions you meet.

For still waters a rod in the order of 9 feet in length casting a 6 or 7 weight line will fit the bill as your casting range will be greater and a combination of wind and fly size which is usually larger in stillwater applications will mean that you need an outfit that is capable of operating in this sort of challenging environment.

The advice I gave to Steve Walker will hold good for you as well as would the tackle he bought.

You will need the different outfits for the different applications. If you have to decide which outfit to spend the most money on then I would recommend that you spend it on the river outfit as delicacy and precision tend to be a good deal more vital in that enviroment and sad to say you do have to pay a bit more for it but once you appreciate it then you will see the sense in the argument

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Right then for the small rivers you will be looking for a rod in the 8 foot range casting a 3 or 4 weight line as the fishing will be at short to medium range with smallish flies and presentation will matter and when it is low and clear 2lb tippets will be the order of the day ranging up to 5 to 5lb tippets depending on what flies you are using and the conditions you meet.

For still waters a rod in the order of 9 feet in length casting a 6 or 7 weight line will fit the bill as your casting range will be greater and a combination of wind and fly size which is usually larger in stillwater applications will mean that you need an outfit that is capable of operating in this sort of challenging environment.

The advice I gave to Steve Walker will hold good for you as well as would the tackle he bought.

You will need the different outfits for the different applications. If you have to decide which outfit to spend the most money on then I would recommend that you spend it on the river outfit as delicacy and precision tend to be a good deal more vital in that enviroment and sad to say you do have to pay a bit more for it but once you appreciate it then you will see the sense in the argument

OK, I will probably be doing a lot more fishing in commercial still-waters though. :mellow:

-Marcus Tullius Cicero