Funding boost for declining otters in North East

wotnobivvy

I saw this on our local news site and one of the rivers the Tees has an increasing otter population and certainly does'nt need either more money directed towards their re-introduction as they're here already and dispersing fast and populating burns and streams quite well under their own steam

They will be doing otters and otter populations no service indeed if they intend to release any captive bred animals into the North east where I think outside of Scotland has one of the densest and fastest growing otter populous of any river systems

I saw this on our local news site and one of the rivers the Tees has an increasing otter population and certainly does'nt need either more money directed towards their re-introduction as they're here already and dispersing fast and populating burns and streams quite well under their own steam

They will be doing otters and otter populations no service indeed if they intend to release any captive bred animals into the North east where I think outside of Scotland has one of the densest and fastest growing otter populous of any river systems

Brian,

Otter re-introductions are not planned and haven't been practiced for over a decade. The only plans are standard BAP action plans for protected/endangered species. This means enhancement of habitat (i.e. improving fish habitat) and measures to prevent traffic deaths. They mention ledges in the text which are simply 'footpaths' in culverts, bridges etc. to allow animals (not just otters) to pass safely.

"It really is fantastic to see otters naturally retuning to our rivers and we aim to give them a helping hand."

The fact that they are mentioning natural re-colonisation means that the food supply is abundant already. They are simply enhancing habitat that will benefit all wildlife including fish!

Better otters than non-native fish!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think you've missed my point or I have'nt made it clear enough

Otters in the North East and on the Northern river systems don't need any outside help or artificial enhancement of the natural environment, they're here and have been for a lot loner than most people realise and they're thriving and expanding naturally enough on their own without help from humans

The Otter Trust which was based on the upper Tees used their captive bred to re colonise and when they "had an accidental escape" most if not all of their European otters vacated their premises and kick started an already rapidly naturally occurring breeding programme

Why do I suddenly wish the UK had laxer gun laws? <_<

I don't know.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Otters in the North East and on the Northern river systems don't need any outside help or artificial enhancement of the natural environment, they're here and have been for a lot loner than most people realise and they're thriving and expanding naturally enough on their own without help from humans

Yep i would go with that as they seem to have been steadily increasing on the ribble for about the last 25 years that i know of.

Why do I suddenly wish the UK had laxer gun laws? <_<

As a gun owner and river angler who fishes on a river with otters i can honestly say Ive never seen the need for the two sports to be combined, but then i don't believe half the crap that's been written about otters in the angling press. I don't need to as there is nothing wrong with the fishing on my local river that has otters.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep