Help choosing a feeder reel

Rocketdog85

Hi im new to the forum but im not new to fishing. Having said that its about 10 years since i last fished and things have moved on a lot and i need to update my tackle. Iv'e just purchased a new feeder rod, the Shimano Forcemaster 11' Mini Feeder Rod, and im looking for a decent reel to go with it. My budget isn't huge - i dont really wanna spend more than £50.00 if i can help it. I will be fishing for tench, bream and small carp to around 5lb and occasionally silverfish and maybe even some small barbel. Probably be using it with 5-6lb mono. Would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Cheers :)

The okuma epix pro is a good reel or the new shimano baitrunner in the 2500 or 4000 are good. I think there all in your budget. There's so many decent reels now in that price range but myself I'd go for the mini shimano's as they have the added baitrunner function.

The okuma epix pro is a good reel or the new shimano baitrunner in the 2500 or 4000 are good. I think there all in your budget. There's so many decent reels now in that price range but myself I'd go for the mini shimano's as they have the added baitrunner function.

ive heard the 4000 is meant to be good but how large are they? im not really wantin to land anything bigger than 5lb with it and everywhere ive seen it theyve used the 10lb line to give its line capacity

ive heard the 4000 is meant to be good but how large are they? im not really wantin to land anything bigger than 5lb with it and everywhere ive seen it theyve used the 10lb line to give its line capacity

They're actually very small, roughly the same size as most reels in the 4000 or 2500 range. I have a couple in the 2500 and you can use them for various types of fishing from light float to medium ledgering, there sound little reels...well IMO that is.

Mine are loaded with 6lb sensor and 8lb sensor, you could put on what you like.

Edited by Tigger

They're actually very small, roughly the same size as most reels in the 4000 or 2500 range. I have a couple in the 2500 and you can use them for various types of fishing from light float to medium ledgering, there sound little reels...well IMO that is.

Mine are loaded with 6lb sensor and 8lb sensor, you could put on what you like.

they sound pretty good but whats the difference between the 4000 and 2500 and what about the DL range?

If I remember previous threads on the subject aren't these quite a sound used buy? These are actually physically smaller than the other Shimano BR models of the day, later on they used the same body (big) and just altered the size of the spool, is that right?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-Baitrunner-4...=item255be32358

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

they sound pretty good but whats the difference between the 4000 and 2500 and what about the DL range?

The difference is size the 2500 being the smaller of the two. I have the DL's but there's not a great lot of difference in them , one obvious difference in the FA and the DL is the DL has a double handle.

I got mine for under 50 nicker each brand spanking and so will you if you phone around or try bidding on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Shimano-DL...=item4aa2f5ffe6

Edited by Tigger