The RSSG.

trent.barbeler

Dear All,

In my capacity as secretary for the RSSG, I have great sadness in making the following announcement;

It has been just over one month since the RSSG formation meeting on the 19th of January and two weeks since the RSSG minutes and information have been sent out to interested parties. That list contained the names and email addresses of 307 individuals.

On the 11th of February 2002, Ian Jobling, the RSSG treasurer received his last payment of £3 for RSSG membership. That last payment brought the total number of those sending their subscriptions to just 13 individuals.

From the information supplied to myself by the RSSG treasurer Mr Ian Jobling, those individuals are;

Ian Jobling,

Lee Fletcher,

Steve Richardson,

Ray Wood,

Bob Gill,

David Blay,

Ray Ellis,

David Wass,

David Will,

Jon Callan,

John Smith,

John Tait,

Dennis Darkin,

Paul Whiteing.

Clearly, with such a massive lack of support in terms of the actual numbers of individuals willing to pay £3 for RSSG membership, the RSSG is going nowhere so we now have no choice but to close the idea of the RSSG down. All those individuals who have already paid in their cheques for £3 will now be automatically reimbersed by the RSSG treasurer.

I would like to offer sincere thanks to the following who all played a part in trying to get the RSSG off the ground;

Thanks to Andy Frances of BFW who made the initial effort possible by graciously allowing his website to be used as a platform for the concept of the RSSG to evolve. Andy, you are a star.

Thanks also to Elton Murphy of Anglers Net, Graham Marsdon of Fishing Magic and Paul Selman of Fishing Warehouse. Guys, your willingness to help resulted in the interested parties growing to 307. You all will not be forgotten.

Special thanks goes to Paul Whiteing who worked very hard behind the scenes to get two designs for the RSSG logo finished and professionally tidied up for free! You are a great guy Paul.

Special thanks to Ray Wood for starting the ball rolling and his tireless efforts behind the scenes leading up to and after the formation meeting. Ray himself has been working on the draft RSSG constitution for consultation with RSSG members in the democratic way. Sadly, Rays efforts have now been wasted.

Thanks to Ian Jobling for taking on the role as RSSG treasurer and for his final task of sending cheques back.

Special thanks to Steve Richardson who played many vital roles behind the scenes who helped Ray and myself tremendously.

Thanks to some of the guys in the Chub Study Group, the National Anguila Club, the Angling Brotherhood, who all offered and gave their services in order to take the idea of the RSSG into its second stage. Once again, sadly, these efforts are now no longer needed because the second stage will not be realised.

Last but not least, special thanks to those who sent in their £3's. Yes my friends, you were small in number but if angling had more like you, I know that our fishing heritage would be in safe hands. You ARE the stars guys.

As I write these last lines, I unashamedly announce to you all with tears welling in my eyes that the closing of the RSSG is the closing of a dream I hold very dear to my heart. The dream of ordinary anglers standing together in preservation of their sport and the rivers where they fish.

Sadly, this is not to be.

Regards,

Lee.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee,

Can you not give this a stay of execution and let some of us website owners get together on this? I have an idea that may just work.

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Don't let it go, not just yet anyway! As I said I had intended to take it to ACANS, the consultative for Norfolk & Suffolk. This is already on the agenda for the next committee meeting. As or my £3.00, I suffer from acute 'round tuit deficiency syndrome', sorry. Don't give in before you really get started. :(

Peter Waller:

As or my £3.00, I suffer from acute 'round tuit deficiency syndrome', sorry. Don't give in before you really get started. :(:(

Lee, this is what I mentioned in my email :)

Peter, don't worry - it wasn't aimed at you :P

Tight lines,

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Geoff Palmer:

Geoff Palmer:

Call me ignorant if you will, but what is or was the RSSG?

You are not ignorant. I would like to know as well. This is all new to me
Guys,

Hold on to your thoughts and give me a day or so and I'll try to get something up on this site about it all.

All the best,

Elton

Re: The RSSG

Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to announce that Elton Murphy of Anglers Net has come in and offered to help. I might add, his offer of help is considerable.

What Elton would like to do is link up with a tremendous amout of fishing sites and so forth to promote the RSSG through something that he has asked me to draft. Also, Elton has come up with the idea for prospective RSSG members to be able to pay for their RSSG subs via credit card and is going to advise me on how to set all this up. What Elton says makes perfect sense the more one thinks about it. We all live in a world of paying by plastic because it is so easy. Three quid is I believe not the issue for most people so the easier it is made for people to subscribe the better it might be.

Now, please be aware of these realities; For some time now I have been receiving enquiries from angling clubs etc who are eager to know how much it will be to "affiliate with the RSSG.

Steve and myself have drafted a payment scale for these "affiliations" but of course, to be democratic, this business MUST in our opinion be passed before the individual RSSG membership first. Also, the RSSG constitution MUST be agreed by the same membership. This is NOT the big task it appears to be but in order to do this, we HAVE to have the individual RSSG membership confirmed first officially by payment of subs. You may as well accept right from the start that with me as RSSG secretary, I will INSIST on the membership being consulted at the formation stages which of course, includes the question of "affiliates". I am passionate not only about grass roots anglers, but their absolute right to be consulted as well and frankly, I dont care how other groups do their business. The RSSG is going to be totally democratic in every way but please, I cant do this without your help.

So, I will ask Ian to hold onto the cheques and will wait for Eltons advice. In the meantime, I would ask you all who care about your rivers to now send Ian your subs made payable to the RSSG.

You will recal the mention of a second RSSG meeting. This was intended to try and confirm our people on certain rivers, agree on the RSSG constitution and agree on a scale of subs for any RSSG affiliates. Then, we move onto the second stage of gathering up the affiliate support from groups and fishing clubs thus spreading RSSG members throughout river systems extremely quickly.

I will also post this on the other sites as well.

Would it be fair then, to give it say another two weeks for subs to come in from those on the list?

In the meantime Paul, would you be so good as to post the two samples of your designed logo on BFW for everyone to have a look at. Personally, I think they are crackers.

Regards,

Lee.