An upsetting afternoon!

chevin

I went to a motorcycle racing meet today at the local track and it was a perfect day for it. No wind, cloudless blue sky - shorts and T-shirt weather even though it is mid-winter. Now we all know that unpleasant things can happen in motor racing but before I had even got my chair unfolded a guy came off and I was horrified to see him get trapped under the bike. Eventually the bike kicked up into the air and released him to roll away from it. I was so relieved to see him get up, I ran along the fence to ask him if he was OK, he said that he was and I told him that it scared the crap out of me when I saw him being dragged along like that, he said, "Yeah, I didn't f*****g like it either." Anyway, I stayed with him while he checked his hands and went back to my chair. A little while later someone else came off at the far side of the bend which is rather like Gerrards at Mallory. It was a pretty normal spill, the guy rolled along the track, got up and had his bike going in no time flat. A couple of races later the same thing happened in exactly the same place. The racing was good but during mid afternoon there was an horrendous crash from which the riders didn't roll away and they didn't get up either. My heart sank when I saw four bodies laying in the track with none of them moving for an increasing period of time. The race was red flagged and service vehicles and ambulances shielded my view of what was going on. The longer they stayed there the more worried I became. Then came an announcement that the race had been abandoned at that the day's programme was going to be shortened. I didn't have any heart to stay. I know that motor sports are dangerous but when things like that happen that knowledge doesn't soften the reality in any way. I still don't know how those riders are but being as the ghouls on the news this evening weren't salivating over the deaths of any motorcycle racers I think that I can safely assume that they are still alive. I just hope that they aren't too badly injured.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Whoa, not good Chevin. I hope they're ok too. Bit of a trauma to put yourself through on a sunday, ( or is it wednesday in Australia?)

I feel bad now as i've had a really good day (see sea fishing section).

Hope it all pans out well & take up a less stressfull sport like chicken watching or moth counting.

Whoa, not good Chevin. I hope they're ok too. Bit of a trauma to put yourself through on a sunday, ( or is it wednesday in Australia?)

I feel bad now as i've had a really good day (see sea fishing section).

Hope it all pans out well & take up a less stressfull sport like chicken watching or moth counting.

I guess that being as that is the only serious accident I have seen at a motorcycle race meeting in 50 years, I will be at the next meeting in a month's time. It spoiled my day for me yesterday but really motorcycle racing is a pretty safe sport. It's certainly an exciting one to watch!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Interesting thread!!

I must admit to going home feeling the effects of seeing a bad accident at a motorcycle race meeting. Saw one at Snetterton manmy years ago and it was like it happened in slow motion as the guy rolled along the tarmac smacking his head down at each turn.. Happily he did survive but it took a long while and he was never the same. It's the risk they take!!

Last night there was a documentary about the Le Mans crash in 1955 when over 83 spectators were killed when a car left the track and smashed into the grandstand. There has never been a definite total for deaths!!

Most sombering was the overlaid photos of the before and after photos taken from the rear of the grandstand.

Interesting thread!!

I must admit to going home feeling the effects of seeing a bad accident at a motorcycle race meeting. Saw one at Snetterton manmy years ago and it was like it happened in slow motion as the guy rolled along the tarmac smacking his head down at each turn.. Happily he did survive but it took a long while and he was never the same. It's the risk they take!!

Last night there was a documentary about the Le Mans crash in 1955 when over 83 spectators were killed when a car left the track and smashed into the grandstand. There has never been a definite total for deaths!!

Most sombering was the overlaid photos of the before and after photos taken from the rear of the grandstand.

Yeah I remember that Le Mans crash and there has always been a lot of controversy about it. Mike Hawthorne was blamed by many for causing it and, as you say there has always been doubt about the number of dead. Also the track officials were criticised for allowing the race to continue but, as they said, if they had stopped the race the roads would have been blocked and emergency services would have been unable to get through. I guess when you have a catastrophe of that magnitude there is always going to be dissent concerning blame and decisions. We know that motor racing is dangerous, but unfortunately that incident took the danger to a new level.

I guess it does bring it home to you when you're there watching it. I was at Le Mans a few times when there were some serious crashes, including one fatality. It did change the whole race atmosphere, as you'd expect, but it's a dengerous sport at the end of the day, which is partly why the racers are drawn to it.

Rob.