Unusual bait?

Andrew

Reading thru some angling mags i came across this SLUGS used as bait?

Has anyone used slugs?if so in what conditions did you use them? river or stillwater? :confused:

:D:D:D

Tight lines to all

Jangar

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Great bait for chub - freelined on a large hook. A couple of years ago I took a friend of mine fishing twas his first trip for 30 years so I took him somewhere easy (or so I thought). Anyway after 6 hours without a fish - and getting pretty bored he puts a ruddy great slug on a size 4 and lobs it into the margins. Result - and instant take and a 5lb common. Followed in the next hour by 3 more the same way....

So whilst they are a traditional river bait - don't discount them in stillwater....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Ah we have the pike man :D:D:D

Never mind Gordy {piking pirate}burdon

the 24lb man is here :D:D

HOW ya doin Norm?

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I remember seeing John Wilson use a freelined slug as bait when he was challenged to catch a fish without a modern rod or reel. He cut a birch or willow branch from a tree, attached some line and a big hook, stuck on the biggest black slug he could find andcaught a chub almost first cast!

Personally I'd love to use slugs as bait, but I HATE touching them because of the sticky slime they leave behind. URGH! These American plastic slugs on the other hand....

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I've found slugs will take Chub in the worst of conditions where all else fails. Have fished stretches of the Hampshire Avon when the water has been low and gin clear and the temp is in the 90s. Fished all day on maggot without so much as a twitch, put a fat slug on and they hang themselves sometimes on the first run through the swim. Fantastic bait, freelined they have enough weight to lob them for miles.

Would be interested to hear of anyone who's given them a real try on still waters.