Carp Farming For Food

Elton

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but here goes...

This article made me scrunch my face up and say, "Eh?":

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/004a3e34-a0ee-11...144feabdc0.html

He thinks carp are not only underrated when it comes to flavour, but that they also lend themselves well to controlled cultivation, rather like a kind of aquatic rabbit.

Despite rabbit being abundant in the UK, and freely available to millions of us if we really wanted it, I know of very few people who eat it. I doubt if Tescos and Asda have an aisle dedicated to fresh rabbit. So, if cultivated carp is so similar, why would the UK want it? :huh:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I used to do a lot of fishing in French version of commercial fisheries their idea is stock a lake 4 times a year with carp, trout, sturgeon and catfish then you can take home and eat what you catch so I did this with a few small carp that I caught to my surprise they weren’t that bad but not that good either couldn’t see it taking the place of other fish in the restaurant. I do hear good things about zander and perch any one tried one?

I tried zander and perch in Finland. The zander was in a restaurant and was served with a heavy cream sauce - too much for the fish I think, nothing memorable. The perch we caught in gill nets from a freshwater area of the Baltic Sea, hot smoked by the waterside and eaten in a little log summerhouse, and I would say ranks amongst the very best fish I have ever eaten.

I've eaten perch in a Cheshire works canteen, sourced from Northern Ireland, and it wasn't bad at all.

The vast majority of our UK carp are really carp developed to be cultivated for food in mainland Europe hence mirror carp and high-backed fast growing varieties.

The guy seems ignorant of the fact that to grow your own in a garden pond one supposes you'd need the appropriate EA permit to move fish.

I think purchasing carp for your garden pond to grow on and eat would come under the same exemption which means you don't need a section 30 to buy koi from a garden centre or mirrors for that matter!

We eat Perch regularly, its very good, preferred over trout (with the exception of s fresh run sea trout).

We would eat Carp when living in Germany, in Berlin 'carp in horseradish sauce 'Polisg style' was a christmas eve dish. It was 'ok' but the preparation was more then the final result was worth in my opinion.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"