Spinning in the morning

leedsunited

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really do need long forceps, even if not long nosed pliers. You also need a pair of side cutters or small bolt crops to cut hooks. Sometimes it is easier to cut a hook out than to remove it any other way. All these can be got from B&Q wnen they open at 10.00. Best time for pike is between 12.00 and 3.00 so, money aside, £10 to £15.00, your problem is solved!

Are you saying you don't have any forceps at all, or they're not specially long? How long are they?

If I were you, as long as there are a reasonable number of perch around, I'd start with quite a small lure, such as a Mepps number 2. That way you're most likely to catch something. In my view you need a pair of forceps for any kind of fishing, but they don't need to be specially long ones for a first trip where you're most likely to catch perch.

john clarke

But he might catch a pike John, and it might be hooked inside the mouth, so he might need long nosed pliers or forceps, or the pike might die, and then Leeds might wish he'd got the right gear for the job!

Difficult question that one Leeds. If I think its a perch I just keep winding, if its a pike I strike! The takes are different but to be honest I think I'd strike at anything until I get the feel for it. The pike 'take' tends, but not always, to be rather more savage than that of a perch. Generally the perch will be smaller than a pike. Once you have had a few you'll find it quite easy.

leedsunited:

Iv got pliers the same length as my forceps and they have cutters in em

Sounds like standard pliers with cutting edges down by the pivot.

It's best, Leeds, to get special wirecutters like the guys have said. These can also come in handy when a loose treble gets horribly tangled in your landing net and untangling will delay getting the fish unhooked. It can be much quicker to cut that tangled treble free - for the fish's sake.

Good luck

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.