bite detection at night

The Flying Tench

Changing from a KD rig to a chod, or from Ultraplex to Multiplex isn't the 'edge' we're all told in mags we need. Shutting up and keeping out of view will usually do it :rolleyes:

Would be a fantastic Headline Article. The Art of Silence!

My own fave is a Tilley Lamp, you can adjust the light as fit and warm your hands on it so you can still touch leger on bitter winter nights if needed.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a fantastic Headline Article. The Art of Silence!

My own fave is a Tilley Lamp, you can adjust the light as fit and warm your hands on it so you can still touch leger on bitter winter nights if needed.

Renrag

You are joking?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

One of my catchphrases when I fish with my lil bro is 'siddown and shurrup'.

Eh? Why joking?

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

One of my catchphrases when I fish with my lil bro is 'siddown and shurrup'.

Eh? Why joking?

Renrag

Maybe Im just old fashioned mate but I hate Tilly lamps (unless sea fishing!) Im of the school that says lights should be kept to an absolute minimum to avoid disturbing both other fishermen and the fish.

I used to be really extreme and not use a torch at all (always carried one in case of emergencies though) and do everything in the dark.Yes even tying hooks and baiting up! Easy enough to do with practice and now my sight is pants its kind of paid of by letting me still tie ev en the smallest of hooks without having to see (well clearly anyway!). These days I now allow my self the luxury of a head torch for rebating but this has a red filter.

Users of bright lights (especially ones that are on all the time such as Tilley's) always strike me as a bit selfish as "their" light affect others who dont want it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Personally I do what I can do to not fish the same stretch of river as others so I cant offend or be offended.

I prefer not to be selfish, just selective on where I fish.

Bear in mind I do have the whole Broads system to choose from and I usually night fish during the week.

Renrag

Maybe Im just old fashioned mate but I hate Tilly lamps (unless sea fishing!) Im of the school that says lights should be kept to an absolute minimum to avoid disturbing both other fishermen and the fish.

I used to be really extreme and not use a torch at all (always carried one in case of emergencies though) and do everything in the dark.Yes even tying hooks and baiting up! Easy enough to do with practice and now my sight is pants its kind of paid of by letting me still tie ev en the smallest of hooks without having to see (well clearly anyway!). These days I now allow my self the luxury of a head torch for rebating but this has a red filter.

Users of bright lights (especially ones that are on all the time such as Tilley's) always strike me as a bit selfish as "their" light affect others who dont want it!

I am the same, I don't like torches including head torches; the only torch I use is a tiny one with a red filter that I use pointing away from the water if I need to find something or shine onto my scales.

It is amazing what you can see once your eyes get used to the dark, you can even make out small twigs and leaves on the ground all around you and the odd rodent scurrying through your swim, wheras with a torch all you can see is what you can see in the light beam and everyting else outside of the beam is in blackness.

I used to practice tying hooks in total darkeness using my tongue to feel the line going through the hook eye and very soon I found I didn't need a torch.

I once took my mate to a Carp pool at night without a torch and he was amazed at how close the fish came right up to his feet and the amount he could see all around him convinced him that he didn't need to take his tilley lamp again.

But some anglers don't feel safe without their tilly lamp so it is up to the individual as long as they don't ruin it for other anglers around them by moving or flashing it around all over the place.

It is not quite so bad if a lamp is kept switched on, not moved and in front of the angler so that no moving shadows are cast across the water but I much prefer no light at all, except maybe a small shaded one inside my bivvy if I am using one.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)