Groundbait for idiots

Roland

I dont know if others are the same as me but I often find groundbait does more harm than good

so most of the time I try to just use loosefeed when fishing a river and if its getting lost in the current use an old bait dropper

Gary

Edited by bbamboo

I dont know if others are the same as me but I often find groundbait does more harm than good

so most of the time I try to just use loosefeed when fishing a river and if its getting lost in the current use an old bait dropper

Gary

Im a great fan of loose feeding on rivers but there are plenty of times that groundbait has made a difference for me.Deep powerful rivers are far better fed little and often with your free sample hook bait carried in bread crumb.Couldn't or rather wouldn't be practical to do this with a bait dropper certainly not in a match situation.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Im a great fan of loose feeding on rivers but there are plenty of times that groundbait has made a difference for me.Deep powerful rivers are far better fed little and often with your free sample hook bait carried in bread crumb.Couldn't or rather wouldn't be practical to do this with a bait dropper certainly not in a match situation.

Hi Budgie

Please excuse my ignorance but why would it not be practical in a match situation to use a dropper ?.

I can understand if distance was an issue droppers don’t lend themselves to casting 40 feet or more.

Can you explain

Gary

Thanks, I appreciate the advice from all of you :) I know everyone will have a different answer to most things but thats what makes forums fun :) they are a great place to learn :)

I'm going to have a stab at making my own grounbait as an experiment :)

Brown bread

treacle

Corn

Curry powder

Luncheon meat

I'll see what happens then report back!

sounds good but one question as i fairly new how do you get the bread grounded down to put it into groundbait? as i would like to start makin own groundbait

Hi Budgie

Please excuse my ignorance but why would it not be practical in a match situation to use a dropper ?.

I can understand if distance was an issue droppers don’t lend themselves to casting 40 feet or more.

Can you explain

Gary

Yes sure mate.All good match fishing regardless of the method or venue is about establishing a good rhythm.This is one if not the most important things you need to do (once catching of course) to build winning weights. Regular feeding (as you know from your loose feeding on rivers) is the key to good catches using more often than not the "little and often" principle. Cast out, hand full of feed in, mend the line and off you go......just cant see you establishing this kind of rhythm with the use of a second rod with a bait dropper on,

I use a bait dropper in rivers but normally when I am fishing for bigger fish (eg barbel) in fast currents.I tend to build up a bed of bait with the dropper then fish and only top up occasionally as catches dictate.

Does that make sense as I dont know if Ive explained my thoughts very well?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes sure mate.All good match fishing regardless of the method or venue is about establishing a good rhythm.This is one if not the most important things you need to do (once catching of course) to build winning weights. Regular feeding (as you know from your loose feeding on rivers) is the key to good catches using more often than not the "little and often" principle. Cast out, hand full of feed in, mend the line and off you go......just cant see you establishing this kind of rhythm with the use of a second rod with a bait dropper on,

I use a bait dropper in rivers but normally when I am fishing for bigger fish (eg barbel) in fast currents.I tend to build up a bed of bait with the dropper then fish and only top up occasionally as catches dictate.

Does that make sense as I dont know if Ive explained my thoughts very well?

Hi Budgie

Absolutely I understand completely.

I think I have got it as I dont do any match fishing only pleasure fishing for bigger fish or trotting for Grayling.

Understand Match fishing is a different ball game .

I like the dropper as it stops me catching so many minnows :D

Cheers for that

Gary

Edited by bbamboo