Chin lift, is it safe for pike.

Peter Waller

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boat most of the time Dan. I'm based on the Waveney if you are ever down that way.

So not fishing for 'em is best then Colin & Chevin? But perhaps, by comparing results & comparing coincidences, we can reduce the chance of mortality, then just maybe there is a positive way forward?

Colin, you are still a member of PAC, aren't you? Have you read Jason's thought provoking article yet?

I have Peter and it is VERY thought provoking.

Does not seem to happen with river pike though, or am I reading it wrong??

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Peter Waller:

So not fishing for 'em is best then Colin & Chevin?

Well it has to be so if your prime concern is for their wellbeing. :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I was being facetious, but I have to admit that I am becoming increasingly cynical about some of the displayed concern for the well-being of fish in recent times. To be honest I almost suspect that there is a competition among many posters to see who can prove to be most concerned about the welfare of fish. We have even seen one poster describe people who took a couple of pike for the table as being, "Sick, sick people". I am sorry, but despite being an angler myself, I have to admit that putting fish through the trauma of capture for the fun of it, is much sicker than killing one for the table.

I think that some of the ways in which we dealt with pike 30 years ago probably had them back into the water quicker than some of the ultra safe methods used today! I know that I wasn't as gentle as some of you are with them, but all of those I wanted to swim away did so. Those I didn't want to swim away finished up on the table. I think that we should all treat our quarries with respect and consideration but I really do think that some posters here are going overboard on the matter - especially when they are quite happy to stick hooks in a fish's face!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The UK trout water pike phenomenon has seen a huge amount of thirty pound plus pike go onto the bank over recent years Chevin. What is quite clear is that there are very few repeat captures of the big ones.

If we are to maintain the results from these fisheries, in our own self interest of course, we need to look for the reasons why. Unfortunately dead pike rarely float otherwise I think we would have a shock!

Peter,

Yep still a member and yes I have read the article.

I haven't Pike fished a trout ressie for probably 15 years or more.

Mainly for the reasons given by Jason [i should have written my thoughts years ago] and because the people running the waters don't know what they are doing [possible?? exception Blithfield].

I certainly haven't caused any pike a problem lately as I can't seem to catch any these days.

I actually gave up pike fishing some years back after loosing a couple of fish through bite offs and leaving traces in them. Both fish picked up baits from the bottom and swam through my main line. It took me a while to get back into it. Happily I have never had another bite off.

Colin