Cormorants!! Again!!!

Colin Brett

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

[QB]Seems that shooting has little effect

As someone who has heard Thomas Bregnballe's presentation several times - and as one of about 25 people in membership of the pan-european REDCAFE project - I can say that the situation is even more depressing.

Let's say that, somehow, you manage to eliminate 20% of the cormorants in the UK. 20% reduction in problems? Er, NO!

A percentage of the cormorants will be from the A1 feeding/roosting sites. The resultant 'gap' will be the first to be infilled, by re-distribution of birds from less good feeding/roosting sites or, in the longer term, by winter immigrants.

The best cormorant fishing (and, therefore, angling) sites will be re-stocked with cormies very quickly; the 'poorer' sites will be depleted initially. The end result from the angler's perspective will be lots of dead cormorants but no real change in cormorant numbers or in potential damage.

Population management on a pan-European scale, and better management of fisheries, is the key to resolving the problems. Dialogue with fish farmers, ornithologists and nature conservationists from across Europe is the better option than 'war, war'.

Before anyone jumps on me, I should point out that I have been banging on about this subject for 10 years and was Keith Higginbottom's only expert (defence) witness when he was prosecuted over the acticle he sanctioned as Angling Times editor "These birds must be shot"

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

Seems that shooting has little effect
:(

Tight Lines - leon[/QB]

Cormorants, like Crows, are a pretty smart bird. They learn very quickly, so when the Crow Scarer goes off they soon realise there is no real danger. Likewise when a real shotgun goes off and the pelletts go whizzing past they soon realise there is a real danger.

The only way to deter these birds is a nationwide campaign, just as the farmers have for Pigeons. A continual campaign would soon see them move on to safer ?? places.

One interesting thought, why do the Cormorants at Grafham fly high and the ones at Rutland fly just above the wavetops??

Colin

Colin Brett:

One interesting thought, why do the Cormorants at Grafham fly high and the ones at Rutland fly just above the wavetops??

Colin

Flying just above the water produces extra lift, known as the 'ground effect' (especially for gliding, or slow flapping birds).

Near to the surface, there is a braking effect on the prevailing wind-strength.

So birds heading downwind on a strong breeze will fly high, to gain the benefit of being pushed along from behind.

Those heading into wind will tend to fly low, where the headwind is reduced, and the ground effect provides extra lift for the amount of energy expended.

I don't know if this explains the difference you have observed, or contributes to it. But have a look at the topography, prevailing wind etc, and you might have an explanation!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

Leon Roskilly:

Colin

Flying just above the water produces extra lift, known as the 'ground effect' (especially for gliding, or slow flapping birds).

Near to the surface, there is a braking effect on the prevailing wind-strength.

So birds heading downwind on a strong breeze will fly high, to gain the benefit of being pushed along from behind.

Those heading into wind will tend to fly low, where the headwind is reduced, and the ground effect provides extra lift for the amount of energy expended.

I don't know if this explains the difference you have observed, or contributes to it. But have a look at the topography, prevailing wind etc, and you might have an explanation!

Tight Lines - leon

Very similar terrain also both ressies have their dams at the East end. I think it might be that Grafham Cormorants nest and roost off site and need to come in high to avoid all that lead!!!!!!!

Colin

Here's a thought.

If we could convince the owners of Chinese and Indian restaurants that cormorants are a special delicacy the problem would be solved almost overnight.

DCB