Trotting for chub

jaypeegolf

My preferred method of fishing is to trot a float using my centrepin in the attempt to catch some larger chub (anything over 2lb would be great!) and I usually attempt this on the Warwickshire Avon?

This is a method that I've employed for many months now but rarely with any great success.

I feed maggots (red/bronze usually) regularly and pick up lots of smaller fish but get bored with this after about an hour to an hour and half when the bigger fish fail to materialise!

My question for the forum is:

Am I being too impatient, should I expect better results if I continue for longer periods?

or...

...have I got it all wrong!!

Any help gratefully received.

JP

Try my cheapo cheese paste on a size 12 barbless hook to 2lb hook length with a 5lb main line:

4 slices of bread

enough butter to cover one side of each slice

3 dairylea cheese triangles

method:

divide equally the three dairylea cheese triangles, take one piece of buttered bread spread 1.5 dairylea cheese triangles on the buttered side of the bread and repeat on another piece of bread again on the buttered side.

cover each of the dairylea spread pieces of bread with each of the remaining two pieces of bread making sure the buttered side makes full contact with the dairylead spread. Gently press together, cut off the crusts and place in a polythene sandwich bag.

You should now have two dairylea cheese paste sandwiches with the crusts cut off, if you are going fishing straight away place them in your tackle bag you will find that they fit inside a two pint maggot bait box. If you are not going fishing straight away place them in the fridge where they will keep quite well for a day.

At the water side - venue, remove one and thoroughly mold it into a ball pull a piece off and mold it around the hook (I usually leave the hook point just showing out of one side. Cast out and you are away. I use this to trot for chub and have found it at least equal to many more elaborate and exotic methods. I often throw in a few torn off pieces always roughly the same size as the hook bait.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I think its the same in a lot of places.

If you trot maggots here you get dace trout grayling and thousands of minnows which you have to feed off before you touch the former.

bread ,meat and pellets take the chub maggots are a nightmare untill the weather changes.

Gary

Edited by bbamboo

Feed bread mash and a nice big piece of flake on the hook and use at least a size 8 hook!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Try my cheapo cheese paste on a size 12 barbless hook to 2lb hook length with a 5lb main line:

4 slices of bread

enough butter to cover one side of each slice

3 dairylea cheese triangles

method:

divide equally the three dairylea cheese triangles, take one piece of buttered bread spread 1.5 dairylea cheese triangles on the buttered side of the bread and repeat on another piece of bread again on the buttered side.

cover each of the dairylea spread pieces of bread with each of the remaining two pieces of bread making sure the buttered side makes full contact with the dairylead spread. Gently press together, cut off the crusts and place in a polythene sandwich bag.

You should now have two dairylea cheese paste sandwiches with the crusts cut off, if you are going fishing straight away place them in your tackle bag you will find that they fit inside a two pint maggot bait box. If you are not going fishing straight away place them in the fridge where they will keep quite well for a day.

At the water side - venue, remove one and thoroughly mold it into a ball pull a piece off and mold it around the hook (I usually leave the hook point just showing out of one side. Cast out and you are away. I use this to trot for chub and have found it at least equal to many more elaborate and exotic methods. I often throw in a few torn off pieces always roughly the same size as the hook bait.

Just took some large chub tonight on this paste :clap2:

one of 4lbs and one of 5lbs lost another

3 ball of mash went in first before I bait up then just a golf ball size of mash ball every 15 minutes to keep them interested

Try it

And :yeah: Thanks for the tip

Gary

Edited by bbamboo

Very well done congratulations... :victory: :victory: :victory: ... :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: keep catching them.

Switch to marble sized loose feed, make an extra sandwich and mix it up with either a plain white bread crumb or sawdust drop it into the water about 12' before (upstream) your target area. Keep checking that your hook is sharp.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

My preferred method of fishing is to trot a float using my centrepin in the attempt to catch some larger chub (anything over 2lb would be great!) and I usually attempt this on the Warwickshire Avon?

This is a method that I've employed for many months now but rarely with any great success.

I feed maggots (red/bronze usually) regularly and pick up lots of smaller fish but get bored with this after about an hour to an hour and half when the bigger fish fail to materialise!

My question for the forum is:

Am I being too impatient, should I expect better results if I continue for longer periods?

or...

...have I got it all wrong!!

Any help gratefully received.

JP

I don't fish maggot much in summer for chub as i tend to just get little fished out. As others have said bigger baits like bread or cheese paste seem to do better. From about this time of year on I can start to do OK with maggot, but that may be because the chub are shoaling up. Chub fishing at this time of year if i don't catch in the first 20-30 minutes i just move on.

I fished one night last week after work for about 3 hours (feed mashed bread with flake on the hook). After 20-30 min's in my first peg i hadn't had a bite. :angry: I move on to another peg about 100 yards away and end up with 17 chub between 2 and 5lb. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've found that on rivers like the upper Thames, Bristol Avon and possibly parts of the Warks Avon that if you want to catch chub by trotting then close in fishing is by and large a waste of time. The chub are often found underneath/alongside far bank cover like overhanging trees. The methods to catch them are either block-end feeder with maggots or casters, or if in range (max 25 yards) by using waggler floats with very little shot down the line and heavy feeding with maggots or casters. That probably means forget the 'pin! Legered cheese paste may also work.

That doesn't mean all the other advice is wrong but that it is more suited to other waters where the chub are found closer in or in mid river. On my local Dorset Stour there are many types of chub swim from ones similar to those on the upper Thames where far bank fishing is the only way to find the chub to much closer in gravel runs that can be trotted or legered.