Concrete Pegs

Manhattan63

Tomorrow is like my first day at school - with my fisheries consultant coming to look at what it is currently just a load of plowed land.

I've been reading up like a mad-thing, taking in as much information as I can and what the guys do at the British Disabled Angling Association looks like great work.

BUT.... (I'm being honest now), I had NEVER considered having concrete pegs all around the lakes like some of the fisheries that 'win' BDAA awards. The lakes look too much like a town council would design, and not something that sits at ease with mother nature.

I don't want to be discriminatory, but I also want to build something that looks fantastic. I guess having a certain number of pegs suitable for disabled access might be the way to go, but then what if a peg the other side of the water (maybe involving a few leaps over branches :D ) becomes the 'must have' location - how can that be fair?

There must be a balance somewhere, and I'll probably find it the hard way if this plan gets further than the next 24 hours.

What's your experiences of fisheries with disabled considerations and is there a balance between keeping it natural and accessible?

Tomorrow is like my first day at school - with my fisheries consultant coming to look at what it is currently just a load of plowed land.

I've been reading up like a mad-thing, taking in as much information as I can and what the guys do at the British Disabled Angling Association looks like great work.

BUT.... (I'm being honest now), I had NEVER considered having concrete pegs all around the lakes like some of the fisheries that 'win' BDAA awards. The lakes look too much like a town council would design, and not something that sits at ease with mother nature.

I don't want to be discriminatory, but I also want to build something that looks fantastic. I guess having a certain number of pegs suitable for disabled access might be the way to go, but then what if a peg the other side of the water (maybe involving a few leaps over branches :D ) becomes the 'must have' location - how can that be fair?

There must be a balance somewhere, and I'll probably find it the hard way if this plan gets further than the next 24 hours.

What's your experiences of fisheries with disabled considerations and is there a balance between keeping it natural and accessible?

The fishery I go to mingles both Natural and man made together. The first lake (Which is closest to the Car Park) has wooden pegs all around it. This means there is a nice level surface to ''Park'' your wheelchair on right round the lake. The second lake which is further away however has a grassy slope to the water all the way around it creating that natural look.

The wooden peg design allows the disabled access to be excellent, but also means it doesn't look man made. The wood is left natural and just a clear protective finish is put over the top. With time mud/rain colours the wood into a natural looking piece of furniture.

I would prioritise access over natural looks any day. I go to a fishery for the fish/comfort!

Using trees and other features can create a nicer atmosphere giving a more natural look in itself. Some people would disagree that a natural look is essential, I personally don't feel it is a must. As long as the quality of the grounds and the lake/fish are good you should be in business.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I am registered as disabled and I know Terry from the BDAA explain the problem I would have thought most would be happy with pegs nearest the car parking area. However you simply have to abide with the law of the land whatever that is at the moment.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Manhattan.A good compromise that I have used many times in the past is to make a base using hexagonal concrete blocks which have a hollow centre.You lay them like paving blocks but fill with soil and grass seed mix.Once grown it can be mown short still leaving the appearance of a grass bank but flat and above all firm. Good for lakeside tracks as well.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

theres this stuff ,not recommending the firm shown by any means only the product no doubt theres many similar products

http://www.britishrecycledplastic.co.uk/gr...inforcement.htm

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

theres this stuff ,not recommending the firm shown by any means only the product no doubt theres many similar products

http://www.britishrecycledplastic.co.uk/gr...inforcement.htm

We have that near our house. The local council put it on grassy areas next to the roadside.

Before these were installed you found that when it had rained you had big tyre marks sometimes 1-2 foot deep! Now it looks just like normal grass but you can park on it without destroying the turf.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

i presume so ,my club pond doesnt use anything at all bar a few hard standing car spaces nearest the pond .There are two "disabled" priority pegs nearest them but on sand theres little mud to bog down in.

the paths can be determined by the soil they are in you would need more substrate on boggy soils than dry ones ofcourse.

My bike used to bog down in the back garden so i removed the boggy bit by 6" of planeings :D not suitable for near water ofcourse.

the hard standing after a year disappeared with moss and weeds and strimmed is no different to anywhere else ,well because the material is more alkaline its got more cover than everywhere else so i suppose it is different :D

so long as the paths arnt too boggy nor to steep or "rooty" disabled anglers can get pretty where anywhere ,one who died last year fished every swim in the place with his trusty scooter :D

note i said "priority" for the disabled pegs ,theres no point installing disabled only pegs if the disabled angler rarely fishes them ,"priority" means in the rules if a disabled angler wishes to fish that swim and a abled angler is using it the abled angler has to vacate the swim.Providing set disabled pegs means disabled anglers think they are obliged to fish them which justifiably annoys them ,they realise though the rest of the swims may not be so easily accessible as the disabled swims ,making every swim and path totally disabled friendly would turn a woodland pond into a commercial looking pond and detract from the point of a woodland setting.the originator of the thread has the advantage of doing the groundwork first rather than after the trees and bushes have grown .Making a totally disabled friendly lake in an already woodland setting would mean cutting supporting roots making the trees dangerous .There is a "duty of care" ofcourse so vaulting over branches not in the scope of abled or disabled anglers for the obvious reasons ,you can have a natural looking lake without natural obstacles very easily with a bit of thought

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson