So I went a bit mad

Austin

WEll a couple of months into rediscovering the sport i have just outlayed some more money on some better gear. I ahve just purchased some daiwa mission carp rods a pair of mitchell avocarp 70s and a rod pod plus after a bit of thinking i decided on a subscription to AT to get the bite alarms and fleece (thought with buying it on and off it would be a bargain).

Whats the general opinion on this as an initial set up as after the frenzy i kinda need some reassurance :rolleyes:

The good thing about it is i have change from £90 so its not the end of the world if i have made a mistake

WEll a couple of months into rediscovering the sport i have just outlayed some more money on some better gear. I ahve just purchased some daiwa mission carp rods a pair of mitchell avocarp 70s and a rod pod plus after a bit of thinking i decided on a subscription to AT to get the bite alarms and fleece (thought with buying it on and off it would be a bargain).

Whats the general opinion on this as an initial set up as after the frenzy i kinda need some reassurance :rolleyes:

The good thing about it is i have change from £90 so its not the end of the world if i have made a mistake

Sounds like a great deal, Diawa do very nice rods and you can't really go wrong at that price.

Leave only footprints

Sounds like a great deal, Diawa do very nice rods and you can't really go wrong at that price.

Well thats made me feel a bit better, went off the quiver tip for a trial as i'm brand new to the ledger and had a few issues due to location but let me tell you that three is sorry it was ever dropped as a seed. However when i did manage to get in the drink things ent along well and i'm sure with a bit more experience (and accuracy) i'll get it. The only thing i'll say is that if anyone fishes kingsburys match pool add a bit more to the minimum line recommended i as on 10lbs mainline and it got snapped like it was cotton on the only decent hit i had

Well thats made me feel a bit better, went off the quiver tip for a trial as i'm brand new to the ledger and had a few issues due to location but let me tell you that three is sorry it was ever dropped as a seed. However when i did manage to get in the drink things ent along well and i'm sure with a bit more experience (and accuracy) i'll get it. The only thing i'll say is that if anyone fishes kingsburys match pool add a bit more to the minimum line recommended i as on 10lbs mainline and it got snapped like it was cotton on the only decent hit i had

snapped on 10lb line?! That's just down to experience. I remember not landing a carp in my first year of targetting them, and snapping up on a fair few. Couldn't stop myself from giving it the big strike when I got a bite, I was just so used to float fishing. If you get a screaming take from a carp all you really need to do is pick the rod up and lift into it, or you are liable to break the line or pull the hook free. You need to have your drag/clutch set to give line fairly easily, then use your thumb to stop or slow the spool if you need to bully the fish a bit. It takes a while to get the hang of but that's all part of the fun. :)

Leave only footprints

snapped on 10lb line?! That's just down to experience. I remember not landing a carp in my first year of targetting them, and snapping up on a fair few. Couldn't stop myself from giving it the big strike when I got a bite, I was just so used to float fishing. If you get a screaming take from a carp all you really need to do is pick the rod up and lift into it, or you are liable to break the line or pull the hook free. You need to have your drag/clutch set to give line fairly easily, then use your thumb to stop or slow the spool if you need to bully the fish a bit. It takes a while to get the hang of but that's all part of the fun. :)

Would say thats a good analysis i will bear it in mind today when i go down the lake again

I was in a similar position early summer.

Look, if you catch fish and don't encounter major issues with your new gear, then 'job done'.

I spent no more than £300 for a Carp set-up and caught plenty.My mate has gear worth 10 times that, but the fish don't shop at Harrods!You (and I) can buy the better gear at a later date if we feel the need, but I honestly feel there is an element of snobbery at times in the Carping world and the tackle suppliers can see them a mile off - hence the prices.

You do , to a certain extent, get what you pay for however.See how you get on with your kit and keep or reject as you see fit.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.