Centrpin Reel ID

Black Rabbit

Hi,

can anyone out there help me to identify one of my centrepin reels?

All I can tell you is I bought it new in a tackle shop somewhere in Kent in 1996-97 I can't remember what I paid for it.

The only makers mark on it appears to be 11 96 scratched into the underside of the brass reel seat, whether this is a date or not I don't know.

Does anyone recognise this reel, know who made it, what it may be worth?

Cheers :thumbs:

post-20441-1286300420_thumb.jpg post-20441-1286300435_thumb.jpg post-20441-1286300467_thumb.jpg post-20441-1286300485_thumb.jpg

Yes it looks like a Free Spirit Searcher without the logo. This is one with the logo;

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

Not bad reels if you get a good one, buld quality is variable. The Fred Crouch Match Aerial clone is better.

I bought the one in the pics for £80 on e-bay and sold it for the same a few months later. I wouldn't pay any more.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Guys,

my reel certainly looks very similar to the 'Searcher', just a few subtle differences.

Has anyone out there got one exactly the same as mine? Does anyone know that history of the manufacturer, or where I can find out about the production run of the 'Searcher'?

Who actually made them? are they any good? (I know that there are better on the market) Can you still buy them new? if not, why did they stop making them?

Any information would be welcome, thanks.

Thanks Guys,

my reel certainly looks very similar to the 'Searcher', just a few subtle differences.

Has anyone out there got one exactly the same as mine? Does anyone know that history of the manufacturer, or where I can find out about the production run of the 'Searcher'?

Who actually made them? are they any good? (I know that there are better on the market) Can you still buy them new? if not, why did they stop making them?

I tried to research them as well but came up with not much. I believe they were manufactured in India and distributed within the UK by a number of companies, some of whom branded them. This is word of mouth info that I've been unable to validate but I'm sure they're not available new anymore. I suspect they stopped being manufactured because not enough money was being made out of them.

As regards whether they're any good mine was fine once I'd worked on it but out of the box it was poor, the base of the drum bush came into contact with the base of the pin and it couldn't be adjusted out, the drum wouldn't turn freely although the reel seemed to be new. I had to grind away some of the drum bush, after that it was ok and performed just as well as any other of my reels. A nice looking reel I think.

That's all I know I'm afraid, I don't think they're worth a great deal but they are a usable reel provided the drum spins freely.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Guys,

A friend of mine has one exactly like yours(without the name on it) .

If your after another I would think he'd sell it.

Edited by Tigger