Snakes!

Fours

I'm finding this a bit sad...

I'm not allowed to pick up a grass snake and capture it for a short while to show my son.... It seems I'm not now even allowed to catch newts to show my son and then move them from a pond out the back the my own pond.

Smt

Only the great crested newt. One particuar situation, which was embarrassing for me was whilst pond dipping with kids and tipped one into the tray. Imagine the scene - Er, this is a newt kids, lets put it back shall we? Right what else is there? You can handle a grass snake to show your son - not sure it would be an easy thing to catch hold of unless torpid.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the great crested newt. One particuar situation, which was embarrassing for me was whilst pond dipping with kids and tipped one into the tray. Imagine the scene - Er, this is a newt kids, lets put it back shall we? Right what else is there? You can handle a grass snake to show your son - not sure it would be an easy thing to catch hold of unless torpid.

Dead right. Catching and handling UK species of amphibians and reptiles is only limited to those that come under the strongest protection. If you accidentally catch a Great Crested Newt whilst pond dipping and return it to the water unharmed then no problem. As for the smooth and palmate newt, common frog and toad, grass snake, common lizard and slow-worm then, you are allowed to keep them as pets if you have a mind to. The only 'common' reptile that you are not allowed to keep as a pet is the adder unless you have a dangerous wild animals licence.

Personally I don't and wouldn't keep snakes as pets as they live a travesty of the existence of a wild animal and are much more entertaining to watch in the wild. I have kept grass snakes and adders and common lizards and slow-worms for research purposes or, during relocation projects when the weather has been against returning them to the wild (14 adders at one time!).

Any injured animal, whether protected or not, can be killed humanely to prevent further suffering, or, kept until ready for release legally. Obviously, taking such animals to a vet is the better course of action if the animal is likely to be returned to the wild.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!