anyone ever caught a shubunkin?

had a few hours down my local lake yesterday evening when i hooked into something that i expected to be yet another bream but turned out to be a big fantailed shubunkin, when i first seen it come to the surface i thought it was a koi but it was a nice thing to catch.

i have had a few goldfish out of there which i expect where won at the local carnival and dumped in there as unwanted pets.

but i have never heard of a shubunkin being caught and it was just under a lb in weight

i have kept a few in the garden pond before but never seen one that big

Are these Shubunkin?

Image025.jpg

Didnt weigh them but the nets a 24"

They look like they are Budge. We had a few in our garden pond a few years back and sadly they all died of old age one by one. A mate was quite pleased though as they apparantly make amazing dead-baits for pike (Maybe its the colour??) nevertheless it saved me stinking out our bins! :lol:

Just goes to show that in this day in age you can give someone a dead fish and they are shockingly made up LOL

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Are these Shubunkin?

I'm no expert on these things but they look like a mix of standard goldfish and fantails, Shubunkins are more "spotty".

Are these Shubunkin?

Image025.jpg

Didnt weigh them but the nets a 24"

im not sure if they are but the one i caught was the same shape but less scaley (like a leather carp) and had lots of flecs of colours, white,blues,black and orange.

nice catch i have never caught that many in one go

in the heat of the moment and as i was on my own i never even thought of taking a pic :-(

Budgie they dont look like shubinkins I know. My guess would be comets. there tails can vary from the norm to fantails. At the end of the day there all goldfish lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shubunkin

Our shubunkins were much more colourful (White/blue) with lots more speckles on them. The build looks similar though to the ones caught.

It seems in recent years there is a lot of Goldfish and other ornamental fish being stocked into lakes/fisheries. I am not quite sure why??? But it does make for an interesting catch at times :lol:

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

i very much doubt the one i caught was stocked,

the lake i caught it on used to belong to a local factory that used the water for cooling. the factory as long since closed and a social club took over the fishing rights giving out annual permits to members for £15

which would be good value if it wasnt un-fishable for 90% of the year due to all the idiots who hang around it. i doubt it has been stocked in 20 years or more so most fish are born there or unwanted pets released in.

there is a large playingfield nearby that gives away goldfish as "prizes" which i assume is how they got in there

i very much doubt the one i caught was stocked,

the lake i caught it on used to belong to a local factory that used the water for cooling. the factory as long since closed and a social club took over the fishing rights giving out annual permits to members for £15

which would be good value if it wasnt un-fishable for 90% of the year due to all the idiots who hang around it. i doubt it has been stocked in 20 years or more so most fish are born there or unwanted pets released in.

there is a large playingfield nearby that gives away goldfish as "prizes" which i assume is how they got in there