The "Avon Rod" ?

GlennB

i don`t know too much about the history of avons,but i have seen there benefits and finally got round to buying one the other day.

its one a lot of people would put down because of the name on it "ron thompson".

although i have not used it yet it looks a good rod.

cork handle,nice screw reel seat,mainly three leg guides,float and swingtip top and leger top with three different strength tips.

same sort of thing as the new type john wilson rods.

and how much ? in the chapmans catalogue they are advertised at £39.99.

i got mine from avenue angling in norwich for £24.99!!

later guys i`m going fishing

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a nasty rumour, from an independant trader, that some of the big boys are inflating the prices of Ron Thompson and Okuma tackle, just so they can 'slash' the price back to the real recommended prices. Bit naughty that.

RUDD:

The main thing to remember is that when the book was written  these species of fish were alot (and I mean alot) smaller than they are today.

In them days an avon style rod was about the heaviest (in power terms) that an angler would own.

In them days a double figure carp upto 20lb was a monster for the average angler.

An avon style rod these days takes line from 4 to 8lb and still should have an action through to the butt and act like a giant elastic band.

In my opinion they are the best all round rod available ...

Thanks for all the helpful information and comments. Special thanks to Rudd for summing it all up very nicely.

Now comes the standard practice :rolleyes: Buy a budget model on Ebay ... wonder if 'quality' gear might be that much better ... buy another ... wonder why the garage is full of fishing gear ... wonder about the credit card bill :D

cheers !

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Caught a 20lb carp on a 1.5TC avon rod last night, snaggy swim, float fished in margins - great fun and at no point was the fish out of control. The rod just keeps bending, actually better at controlling and tiring a carp than my 2.5lb carp rod. The fish are pulling against a giant spring as opposed to an inflexible carp rod.

The rest of the lake members (serious carpers) use 2.75 - 3.5lb carp "rods" and they lose more fish than they land. The inflexible rods mean far more hook pulls etc.

I can understand the need for high TC carp rods in huge lakes where distance casting is required. But why carpers use them for all other fishing situations puzzles me.

Dave

good posibility that they are peter.

i also bought an okuma amazonium 30 size baitrunner to go with the rod i believe chapmans are advertising these for 40 quid as well,

in the shop mine was up for 34.95 and as it was the last one i got it for 30 quid.

ideal reel to go with an avon.

smooth,instant anti reverse,double handle plus spare single handle.three spools of different sizes which are ideal for 8lb,6lb and a match size for 4lb.

later guys i`m going fishing

Whilst I would have to agree that fish are in general bigger I feel that there is a trend these days to use far to powerfull rods.I regularly see 3lb carp rods used on canals ,small rivers and 1 acre ponds!This is nothing to do with these waters holding bigger fish merely people just following trends.And they wonder why they pull the hook at the net.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with PW - fasion has dictated that many anglers now use tackle more appropriate for sea fishing. You do not need beachcasters and boat rods to catch pike and carp.

I have a Mark IV carp rod and almost everyone I show it too is amazed how soft it is. Dick walker still managed a 44lb carp though!

Over the past couple of years I've goone back to using spinning / baitcasting rods for pike (as opposed to jerk bait rods) and the make the day a lot more enjoyable!