ABU 6500 GR

Steve Burke

I've just bought one of these 2ndhand for lure fishing for pike and the occasional beach trip.

Can anyone tell me anything about the reel, and if it's suitable for the above? If not, how much is it worth in nearly mint condition (it's still got the original box)?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think it's like a standard 6500 but with magnetic brakes from memory. Should be great for what you intend using it for, provided you don't mind using a right hand wind reel for lure fishing. I think they were made about 7 to 10 years ago, so it probably doen't have the instant anti-reverse they have now.

Tim

Cheers, Tim. It looks in such good condition that it could be that age. Everything the seller had was immaculate.

OTOH, I posted the same question on the sea forum and Cranfield directed me to an add suggesting they were made mid 80s. This may be so as it has 85-1 on the reel seat. However, I have all the ABU catalogues from that era and it wasn't listed. Was it not available in the UK?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

steve,

Pick up the latest ABU catalogue, Tightlines, Edition 54. In the front is an article by Leif Erixon about the 50th anniversary of the Ambassadeur. It's quite good, but doesn't mention the reel you have. Still worth a read.

I seem to remember there's an Ambassadeur Owners Club somewhere (US?). I think that's taking things a bit far, but if you do a net search using the right keywords, you may find it. It really depends on how far you want to go I suppose.

If I find anything on my travels, I'll pass it on.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Thanks, Dunk.

• 6 years later...

You still got this reel, Steve? I'll give you a fiver for it.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You still got this reel, Steve? I'll give you a fiver for it.

I seem to remember I gave it away to someone more in need of it than me.

Seems to be a lot of old threads being dug up Elton, what you up to ? :g:

I'm making time to go through the incoming and outgoing click logs for the forum, mainly to fix broken links in the outward bound links and to add links to products that people are looking for in old threads in the inbound links. However, as you may have seen from other posts of mine, I'm after a couple of good, cheap beachcasting reels and the 6500 is the holy grail for me :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE