EA shortcomings - River Aire

Martin Salisbury

I mentioned in the other Environment Agency thread about the lack of response from them over the reports of pollution in the River Aire. This was also reported in this weeks Anglers Mail. There were also regular updates on:

www.martinjamesfishing.co.uk

Well the EA response finally came and they have visited the site of the pollution. Their less than useful solution was to cover over the offending sludge that was on the river bed/bank with sand from along the bank. Out of sight, out of mind!

Needless to say it hasn't solved the problem and further fry have died.

One wonders why I ever bother paying a licence fee because they haven't dealt with this issue well and you never get your licence checked anyway!

Regards,

Martin

sorry martin, hadn't seen this before.

the aire has got a reel problem with pollution coming from residential properties, and its always hard to identify the polluter in those cases, to see how to stop incidents happening again.

I do remember a past pollution incident caused by the flushing out of old mill tanks in haworth. The EA there were very quick and effective in dealing with the problem and coming down fast and hard on the polluter (a developer I believe)

The EA have done a lot of good work on the aire in the past, particularly up in my old haunts, but its a river with a lot of potential and it would be good to see them really push something to get this river up to the standard of its near neighbour, the wharf.

by the way, what is it with you lancastirans fishing my river, I thought the ribble was the last word for you guys, but what with Mr Roe and you fishing on it, anyone would think that you'd realised that there was nothing worth while in lancashire :-)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY