Help!

Alan Stubbs

Hi,

I've bought myself an Olympus E420 and am really pleased with some of the images I've got from either lens....

There's always a but.... All the images are downloded in .orf (Olympus Raw File) format, and I have to go through Photoshop to change the images so I can store them on my pc.

I can't find any info in the instruction manual, but does anyone know whether I can alter the settings on the camera to download in generic raw format?, For what I'm doing, the likes of Photoshop, Quark and Draw are all too cumbersome, and add a complete second operation and additional file of images before I can even correct or alter them.

Thanks for having taken time to read this, and for any help or advice you can give.

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I doubt generic raw - but saying that I thought raw was raw - it's just named different by different manufacturers. I'd be very suprised if you can't set the camera to jpeg, since that's what +95% of people use. On my canon EOS I shoot in raw + jpeg (i.e. 2 files per picture) when using manual and jpeg alone in auto mode.

Have you tried googling your question or finding a more detailed instruction guide online ?

Rob.

Hi,

I've bought myself an Olympus E420 and am really pleased with some of the images I've got from either lens....

There's always a but.... All the images are downloded in .orf (Olympus Raw File) format, and I have to go through Photoshop to change the images so I can store them on my pc.

I can't find any info in the instruction manual, but does anyone know whether I can alter the settings on the camera to download in generic raw format?, For what I'm doing, the likes of Photoshop, Quark and Draw are all too cumbersome, and add a complete second operation and additional file of images before I can even correct or alter them.

Thanks for having taken time to read this, and for any help or advice you can give.

Alan

I'm confused, ( easily done ) if you're going through photoshop then surely they are already on your PC and stored.

I'm like Rob and take both jpg and raw.

I know it's maybe not much help but it's the best i can do.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I too short in Jpeg+Raw ie two files for each shot. The Canon RAW file is named CR2. I open this in Photoshop CS4 where you have the option on an initial screen to adjust various paramers eg white balance,temperature,exposure etc. When I am happy with that I then take the open image option again and am then taken into the normal Photoshop screen that we are all used to. I do not know if this is the preferred method but it works for me.

I thought that RAW was a gereric format just that they are all the files are named differently for different manufacturers eg

ORF is Olympus

CR2 is Canon

NEF is Nikon

BAY is Casio etc

Does this help or cloud the issue? :rolleyes:

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy