How long should hair rigs be?

davedave

Im new to hair rigs and was wondering how long the hair should be from the eye of the hook to the loop? I made one that was 2 inches exactly from the eye to the loop, is this too long? Thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Depends entirely on the size of the bait, best way to judge it is to tie the rig with the bait on the hair.

As a general rule of thumb I'm looking for around 2mm between the bend of the hook and the top of the bait when I'm fishing for Carp or Tench.

Depends entirely on the size of the bait, best way to judge it is to tie the rig with the bait on the hair.

As a general rule of thumb I'm looking for around 2mm between the bend of the hook and the top of the bait when I'm fishing for Carp or Tench.

Yeah, that's what I do.

Also, it will depend on how many boilies/pellets/grains you wish to hair rig.So mount them on the hair before tying to determine the length.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

thanks for the advice :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."