Imitation boyant sweetcorn !!

John 'BLOCK'

A good point... i have put the pieces into a pot with some flavour to combat this...pricey for what it is but the shapes do look the same as the freebies....on several ocassions its been these pieces just popped up off the bottom that have got me fish on what would have been a blank day !

John "The Block" Westley

Hi all, a good friend of mine is emptying my local water using the Enterprise tackle immitation Sweetcorn.

I think it's good stuff especially the new improved stuff which comes in different sizes.

Hi Gaffer

How goes it ?

I mentioned earlier that i leave mine in a glugg pot with virtually no glug to give it a wee bit of smell....these things really work....what do you think gets the takes...curiosity,the fact that its bright colour or the fact it is popped up will fly up in the fishes mouth easier....OR something different ?

Do you use it yourself ?

cheers :)

John "The Block" Westley

Hi John,

John 'BLOCK':

....what do you think gets the takes...curiosity,the fact that its bright colour or the fact it is popped up will fly up in the fishes mouth easier....OR something different ?

Do you use it yourself ?

IMO the pop-up Sweetcorn behaves the same as freebie and particles.

Let me try to explain, I've watched Carp feeding over particles (Sweetcorn and hemp) in clear water, they go 'tails up' and use their tail to propel themselves forwards by propeling the water the back/behind them.

At the same time they use their pectorial fins to disturb/move the particles by wafting them in a forwards and upward direction.(see quick sketch below)

The arrows show the direction in which the water is propelled.

P_up_Sweetcorn.jpg

In my experience the mouth of the Carp doesn't always touch the lakebed whilst hoovering up particles, but instead hovvering above it.

The carp can suck particles off the lakebed easily as well as those being disturbed by it's pectorial fins.

The pop-up 'corn is at the perfect height for the carp as it will be amongst the disturbed particles.

My local water is clay lined, weedless, and very coloured. There is no way that the Carp can see the individual peices of 'corn and hemp, or even be able to pin-point the Pop-up 'corn. The Carp may see something, but not very well.

They can't smell the pop-up 'corn 'cos it's not flavoured (well not mine nor my good friends anyway!), yet when it's wafting under their nose amongst the rest of the disturbed particles it just get sucked in as it bahaves naturally.

Other Carpers may have a different view and would disagree with me, but the above is based on observations that I've made. What do others think?

I've only been using the pop-up 'corn (properly) for a couple of weeks now and I've have a couple of fish on it. I even used it on 'The Pads' lake last weekend and had a pick-up within 10 mins, but lost it coming to the net.

[ 29 April 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer is exactly right IMO. In the 10th acre observation ponds I used to have carp actually stand on their noses. In fact, on the thread discussing damage to carp that fish looks like a gravel pit nose. At least what I can see of it more so than a hooking problem. 15 years of running your nose over rocks could influance the good looks of even the Phone's nose.

Our northern carp (Northern states) where flint/granite bearing bottoms and streams are predominate carp actually have/are developing larger snouts.

Phone

hi mate, in reply to your question, i,ve used pop-ups on my last 3 trips and can honestly say its been about fifty/fifty with regards on sucsess on bites and actually hooking.( this only worked on carp, as a point to note.)i think it was worth the £1.75 odd that i paid for them, just to have them in my tackle box, and i generally try them out if things are slow. go for it mate, as they say it cant do no harm.

all the best :D:D