braid mainline

Peter M

Hi all my type of lure fishng is on slow moving rivers with small lures and a light spinning rod. i have used mono before for lure fishng and have used braid in the past. However, i want to know is it best to use sinking or floating braid? Also what breaking strain line and is there a good make. any reccomendations helpful.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi all my type of lure fishng is on slow moving rivers with small lures and a light spinning rod. i have used mono before for lure fishng and have used braid in the past. However, i want to know is it best to use sinking or floating braid? Also what breaking strain line and is there a good make. any reccomendations helpful.

Sorry, I cant answer your question but I have heard about this braid stuff, can some explain what it is aswell as answering peters question, obviously if you dont mind

thankyou

My braid preferences for fishing light lures on light gear would be

- 30lb b/s line for diameter more than purely for b/s

- I do use 10 or 15 lb line for fishing ultra light lures in the 1-5gm weight range because I usually crimp a shot on the line above the lure to aid casting and lighter lines can't stand the shot without weakening.

- floating line unless you need to fish lures really deep and beyond the depth they normally run

- I like and use Power Pro although there are some other good ones available.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry, I cant answer your question but I have heard about this braid stuff, can some explain what it is aswell as answering peters question, obviously if you dont mind

thankyou

This should help Jackhammer-

http://fjames.proboards.com/index.cgi?acti...&page=1#411

Anything your not sure about just ask.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Peter the old advise of selecting a braid by diameter is still the best.Simply look at the diameter of the BS of mono you would use for the job and buy a similar diameter braid regardless of its BS.

For lure fishing it makes no difference if the braid is a sinking or floating one.As braid "naturally" floats due to the materials its made from the "sinking" braids have to be "made" to sink.This normally means they are often a bit more expensive and quite often not as reliable as normal braid.

Normal braid I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Spiderwire or Power Pro. One sinking braid I do use for other fishing that's proved good is the Wychwood braid but I don't know if this is still readily available.But like I said for lure fishing normal (floating) makes no difference.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for that I am bidding on some braid on eBay, 20lb breaking strain with diameter of 8lb. that should do it. i like to use Ondex spinners when the river is running clear as this often works well for me. i also like braid as i want to get my spinner back if i get snagged. I also want to use jigs more and braid should be better for that. tight lines all

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/