Reels

Gary Foster

I don't know any dealers in the UK, but if it isn't available over here, I wouldn't have a problem ordering from the US, and though I haven't used them myself, I think Cabelas are pretty good (www.cabelas.com) and will ship international. I think with shipping costs, dollar-to-pound conversion etc. it should be about pound for dollar in cost.

On that note, the "Barbel Reel" everybody seems to talk about at the moment is the Daiwa SS-II 3000. This is the only model available in the UK, but they do all sorts of sizes of this reel on Cabelas, some smaller, one larger if I remember correctly.

Just my 2 Guineas worth.

I'm not a match angler so perhaps my perspectives are different. I had a number of Stradic GTMs as prizes from IPYCF. Never liked any of them, glad to trade them in. But then, I suppose, reels are very personal. I was just never very comfortable with the Stradics although the quality appeared good. What's elixir to one man might be poison to another :D:D

The new Mitchel 400 Pro is an incredible reel, well worth looking at. Mitchell have clearly gone out of their way to win back their following from Shimanno, this could be the reel to do it. The CD reels from ABU are, I think, also greatly underated by British anglers.

[ 22 March 2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Colin

I looks like the Epixor might be a US only model. The reason I say this is I'm looking a the "EPIX EB-30" in Chapman's Tackle's brochure (www.chapmanstackle.com) and it has the same code (EB-30) as the "EPIXOR EB-30" which I can only find in the US (see http://www.digitaldagger.com/reels/Okuma/okuma.html). They have the same code (EB-30) but are definitely different (certainly the handle is different).

Odd that they have two different reels with the same code...

Peter... Mitchell 400? Don't you mean 300 or is there another reel I'm going to have to go and buy??????? :D

Spindle - the tackle junkie!

Sorry, yes, you are right, the Mitchell 300! Re the 400, picked up a groundbait encrusted example at a charity shop for a fiver! Cleaned it off, polished with WD40 &, hey presto, its just like new! Must have been thinking of my lucky catch!!

I picked up a Mitchell 300 Pro at the NEC & I have to say that it is one of the better reels I have used. I have tested it against a Sedona I bought last year and I think the Mitchell outshades it in most departments given that you can buy both these reels for about the same price.

Hi, Spindle - the EPIX is ER-30, the Epixor is a baitfeeder reel and is EB-30.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Dragonbat - I am interested in the Epixor EB-30 because it looks like a reasonably small but good quality baitfeeder reel.

[ 25 March 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: ColinR ]

Hi all - Spindle, please see below the reply from a wholesaler in Whales regarding Epixor EB-30 (US Site) and Epix EB-30 available in UK.

"Dear Colin,

Thanks for your interest in Okuma reels.

Yes you are right it is the same reel.

We are only wholesaler but you can buy it from Judds of Hillingdon in London or buy mailorder from West Midland Angling Centre Birmingham. Tel 0121-5263317. The reel will cost you £59,95 + carriage."