Want to try baitcasting??

davidP

Some of you may have seen the Banax Tova 600L baitcasting reel reviewed here by Elton on the main site. Well they're being advertised in Anglers Mail this week at £34.99 by Humberside Angling Centre (01472 268988/357915/250400). So if you've been tempted to try baitcasting but put off by the cost then this is a way of finding out without spending a huge amount of cash (except it will cost you a fortune in lures once you get hooked, but that's another story :D ).

[ 17 July 2002, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

phonebush:

davidP,

Let me save you some expense. Buy toothpicks and drive them under your fingernails. It is the closest thing to baitcasting I can think of for an experienced angler wanting to experiment with baitcasting equipment.

Phone

Phone

I agree that it takes some time to master, if indeed you ever do, but for years in the UK you couldn't buy a decent baitcasting reel for less than about $150 to try and find out if you liked it or not. In the last couple of years however there has been a growth in interest in lure fishing and a lot of people have toyed with the idea of trying baitcasters but still been put off by the price (and lack of lefthand wind reels). At least now however people can find out for themselves without having to mortgage the children :D

Dragonbat:

I always have bait on my hooks so is that Baitcasting ???? :D

Yes, unless you're using a pole in which case it's baitputting :D

Catch one fish on a lure and you'll always want to catch fish on artificials. It's the ultimate 'deception'.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Baitcasting can be a lot of fun. I love it myself, though I'm number one at creating world-class birds nests on my multiplier. I say if you want to try baitcasting then go for it. It's just another string to your bow. If you are worried about money then see if one of your mates has suitable gear you can borrow, or buy secondhand.

After a somewhat humiliating experience when I first went fishing abroad and was handed a 6 foot rod with a rh wind baitcaster, loaded with braid, and a 3 inch lure, which I then sent straight at my feet, straight up in the air or nowhere at all, except for the odd time that I did get one further than a few feet from the boat when I also got a lovely ball of knitting...

as i say, after this and after watching the guide at work with the same equipment and seeing how he could cast into any tiny gap in the weeds, trees, etc. at will I decided that I had to learn how to do it so went and bought myself some appropriate kit and set to work practicing (actually in a swimming pool at first!)

It took a while and I'm not suggesting I'm an expert by any means, but I never looked back...my lure fishing catches increased dramatically as did my general ability and my enjoyment of the whole business ..if you like lure fishing, or would like to like lure fishing more, I can't recommend it enough..

mt set up is not at all fancy tho: 5 foot 6 rod and the reel I use is a shimano bass one loaded with (at the moment) some rather old fireline: the whole lot not much more than equiv of 100 quid (rh wind tho which does take some getting used to not just in the retrieving but also when netting a fish)..

[ 18 July 2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: DMCA ]

I would love to see something like the American baitcasting scene come over here. I'm bored of carp-fishing this, carp-fishing that. What I want is Large Mouth Bass. Oh, and tropical weather, Tarpon, giant Walmart stores full of baitcasting gear which I can dribble over while the wife does the shopping, US prices, etc. etc.