Taking over a small pond on the rumour of a few large carp.

Chris Playle

Hi all,

Right, before I begin I would like to stress out to all those carp anglers out there that this isn't a dig at them. I'm not trying to stamp on anyones toes, just asking for an opinion.

There's a pond near me that I have fished almost every week since I started going fishing again in June last year. The pond is a mere 2 acres in size and is stocked with some quite sizable Tench, large roach, rudd, pike, and MAYBE (not confirmed) 4 large(ish) carp to about 20lb. There are 5 pegs in the pond. One peg is under water at the moment, one is unfishable due to the huge number of rushes and lillies that are sprouting in the pond. That leaves three pegs avalable to fish.

On Saturday I had planned to go fishing in said pond for some of the rather nice Tench that are known to lurk in the large weedbeds in the pond (trying to better my PB last year of a 6lb-er).

Upon arriving at the pond, I was rather dismayed to see all three available pegs taken up with Bivvies. Each angler had three rods out and from where I could follow the lines out they pretty much had the whole pond covered. If you could have got in another peg if one was available there wasn't much chance of casting out to a likely fish holding spot without fouling up on a line.

Asking around the lads camped out down there, all three had been there since Friday night and all three were "hunting" one of the near 20's that are rumoured to be in the pond. All planned to stay there all weekend.

I took me and my tackle home determined to go sometime during the week.

Now, the Association which owns the pond say in the book that the ponds cater for the "pleasure angler" (there are two ponds Pond A and Pond B - both are about the same size. Pond A is a silverfish and small Tench Pond and Pond B a silverfish, Large Tench, and Carp pond). These aren't Commercial Fisheries, by the way.

Yards down the road are two larger ponds of between 5 and 7 acres with 15 or so pegs on each pond which have been extensively stocked with large carp to OVER 20lb. I looked in the Larger ponds and around 4 pegs had bivvies in each pond.

Why then, do they move into the 2 acre pond and limit the chance of above mentioned "pleasure angler" (i.e. me) getting a peg for a day?? The only reason I can think is the ratio of Fish/Acre. But I have done a quick estimate and the Fish/Acre ratio is actually larger on the Larger ponds.

I have no quarrel with Session Carp Anglers. If they want to camp out for days on end waiting for that magic 20+, 30+ to make a run then so be it. But in a pond that can accommodate them!! For them to more or less take over an entire pond of three available pegs is taking the mickey a little isn't it? Are these these lengths some people go to on a rumour that there MAY (OR MAY NOT) BE a 20lb Carp in a pond?

I wouldn't have minded if all three pegs were taken by people staying just for the day. Gives me a chance to get my lazy backside out of bed and get there early next morning. But to know that the whole pond was going to be taken ALL weekend really anoyed me. The two ponds listed above were the main reason I payed my £25 for the book that lets me fish them (the Association have at least nine fishable pond on the same book which are spread across East Yorkshire).

I will be writing to the association concerned about this, as will my Dad, and a mate of mine who also tried to get in self same pond. I won't use anyone's opinions off here (the letter is finished anyhow). I would just like your views on this if I may be so bold.

Thanks to them that reply.

Tight Lines

Chris.

Chris - I can understand your frustration but absent any rules to the contrary, they were perfectly within their rights. And not even being rude I don't think since 3 rods is quite usual for carpers and they were just setting up as is typical for long-session carping. BTW - just an opinion but from one who never does long sessions and rarely does carp sessions.

Probably since you say "unconfirmed" about the 20s, they were after the pleasure of catching carp not often caught before.

Sounds like a rules change might be in order for those smaller ponds though. Can't say for sure since I am still a little unclear about the exact and total meaning of "pleasure angler" as you folks use the term.

Also sounds like if you could find some good way to fish the weeds you might do quite well. Fish love to hang around deep in the weed for protection, food, etc. so it should be a great place to catch.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris,

I have to agree with Newt, if the rules don't preclude it then the guys are not doing anything wrong. You may well find that they caught nothing and therefore will never be there again. I would however suggest a rule change to no night fishing would be sensible on the venue - assuming of course the club doesn't want anglers bivvied up for the w/e. I suggest you attend the AGM and make your opinions known, you may well get the changes you would like.

Rob.

"Chris,

I have to agree with Newt, if the rules don't preclude it then the guys are not doing anything wrong. You may well find that they caught nothing and therefore will never be there again. I would however suggest a rule change to no night fishing would be sensible on the venue - assuming of course the club doesn't want anglers bivvied up for the w/e. I suggest you attend the AGM and make your opinions known, you may well get the changes you would like.

Rob." (Quote)

In the past I have been on the receiving end of various anti carp angling from match orientated committees. Here we go again…. If the fish are there, those carpers will fish for them. If they are just rumours then you will have the place to yourself again. A no night fishing rule is a typical first step, then it’s no boilies, then it’s no hair rigs, no stoves, no bivies, one rod only…. Some carp anglers will still be there at the end, in your favourite swim and sticking to the rules but no longer man against fish, man against fish and committee!

Op -JB

I often wounder to what drives a Session Carp Angler they spend thousands of pounds on equipment tents and all the other stuff thats goes with the tag Session Carp Angler and then catch nought most of the time, strange goings on if you ask me, Have they no homes to go to.

But rules are rules so it looks like they are with you for the near future.

You could always start a rumour of big carp caught down the road and these chaps will vanish over night trust me it works every time.

Newt and the rest are correct in what they say but chesters1 may may like to add a comment.

Ps get your own pool it worked for me loads of big carp and tench. :D

[ 07 May 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Dragonbat ]

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

I suppose there is one bonus. Should I ever manage to get down there and get a peg which isn't occupied with a tent, all the Tench will be nice and fat on all the hundreds of pounds worth of boilies they're all wasting.. cha-ing! :):)

Dragonbat, on the subject of spending thousands on gear. Some people have more money than sense.

If I were them I'd save the 3 or 4 grand and put down for a deposit on a proper house to live in.... :D

I'll see if I can start a rumour that there's a near twenty in our outside bog. I might get some fishing in then with em all camped inside the privvy..... :D

Tight Lines

Chris

I often wounder to what drives a Session Carp Angler they send thousands of pounds on equipment tents and all the other stuff thats goes with the tag Session Carp Angler and then catch nought most of the time, strange goings on if you ask me, Have they no homes to go to.

(Quote Dragonbat)

I am lucky enough to fish a mainly match orientated water with a few very big carp in it. You have a hard core of fanatical carpers and leisure match anglers fishing the same lake. They may as well be on a different planet to each other. Your attitude D.B. is written in the faces of each of the match anglers as they walk under the tree you have just scaled to see if you can find any clear patches on the gravel bar or when they have to move their pole out of the way so you can get your over-laden barrow past. To be fair I can’t see the point of catching tiddlers all day, I would much prefer to test my angling skills against a creature that is possibly older than myself.

At the very least D.B. spending so much time beside lakes with broadleaf woodland in the background in the English springtime is no excuse to rush home!

Op -JB

Chris, from this…

Right, before I begin I would like to stress out to all those carp anglers out there that this isn't a dig at them. I'm not trying to stamp on anyones toes, just asking for an opinion.

to this…

I suppose there is one bonus. Should I ever manage to get down there and get a peg which isn't occupied with a tent, all the Tench will be nice and fat on all the hundreds of pounds worth of boilies they're all wasting.. cha-ing!

Dragonbat, on the subject of spending thousands on gear. Some people have more money than sense.

If I were them I'd save the 3 or 4 grand and put down for a deposit on a proper house to live in....

(Quote Chris)

It was rather funny though. :)

Op -JB