What Happens To Discards?

Elton

As I've never come across a mountain of dead fish whilst at sea, I assume that all dead fish thrown overboard get eaten by other fish, crustaceans, etc.

Assuming recent reports that half the fish caught by nets are thrown back dead are true, the provision of readily-available food would decrease by quite an amount if this was stopped.

Would the animals that ate discards find other animals to eat, or would they die off?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As I've never come across a mountain of dead fish whilst at sea, I assume that all dead fish thrown overboard get eaten by other fish, crustaceans, etc.

Assuming recent reports that half the fish caught by nets are thrown back dead are true, the provision of readily-available food would decrease by quite an amount if this was stopped.

Would the animals that ate discards find other animals to eat, or would they die off?

Didn't you see that chart that Natural England produced and were taking round to their roadshows? Those discarded fish go to the Piscatorial Garden of Remembrance. You can find it just above the Herring Creche and a bit to the left of the Enchanted Kelp Forest.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• 3 weeks later...
Didn't you see that chart that Natural England produced and were taking round to their roadshows? Those discarded fish go to the Piscatorial Garden of Remembrance. You can find it just above the Herring Creche and a bit to the left of the Enchanted Kelp Forest.

All eaten by something chaps, The RSPB were getting qite concerned a few years back about reductions in sea bird numbers due to lack of food due to reductions in fishing effort and hence discarding. Plenty of things on the sea bed to clean up the debris, shellfish etc. Not a lot wasted I guess

No cod in Nova Scotia but a massive shellfish industry now, so just changes in bio-mass.

In the grand scale of things discards may not be the big deal that we think they are, but they are politically topical at the moment and attract lots of research funding just like climate change science does!

That's a politically incorrect question Elton. Discards just vanish and are not significant at all. Seabird populations have ignored them, the benthic critters often lack eyes so missed them landing. Safe to put discards in the ignore box..

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Safe to put discards in the ignore box..

Hello Jaffa

No job justification, funds obtained or state of fear created by putting any thing in the ignore box except maybe the truth.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Jaffa

No job justification, funds obtained or state of fear created by putting any thing in the ignore box except maybe the truth.

Ignore box concept seems to employ a stream of celebs putting everything from  items of interest to celebs, to other items of interest to viewers interested in  celebs into the ignore space. Can't remember a single one punting the common fisheries policy into room 101 or whatever. .

Has the UK really got that stupid? Which celeb do you think is going to solve fisheries btw?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net