River fishing...very open question.

dizidave

I read an article in AT a couple of years back,the guy was fishing the Rother close to Rother valley park. He caught some big chub on the stick. Cant remember which bait but I'd try maggots, worms & bread for a start.

I reckon short sessions are the best bet, as with my local small river not far from you, early morning or evening, & move swims after catching.

dizidave:

Any really good tips or golden rules for river fishing?

Be as quiet and unobtrusive as possible. Just dropping a rod bag when you get to your peg could spook the fish for ages (as I've found to my cost!). Keep off the skyline.

Be prepared to move.

Walk the river. Get some polaroids and take the time to go fish spotting.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

David C:

I reckon short sessions are the best bet, as with my local small river not far from you, early morning or evening, & move swims after catching.

Carry a bucket of bread mash, and walk upriver, dropping the mash into holding areas.

Then fish your way back downstream, letting the current carry your bread-baited stick-float towards the pre-baited holding areas.

More of a tactic for winter really.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

But damn succesful leon.

Darth have you tried the river don near bennets, just as it comes out from under the road, I had some great perch and trout down there about 7 years ago.

Also have a go on the cut, just past the first bridge after the marina, used to get some lovely roach there, and the odd carp, bit of a shock on 1lb bottom mind. :D

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

phil dean:

But damn succesful leon.

Darth have you tried the river don near bennets, just as it comes out from under the road, I had some great perch and trout down there about 7 years ago.

:D

only fished there once but there are 9lb barble there and Salmon there now you need waders