How do you keep it on?

spangles

:confused: I am having a problem keeping my chosen bait on my hook. I have no problem with maggot or worms, but bread , cheese, meat and corn are all proving more than a small challenge. Also do i leave any of the hook showing when i put any of these on? Also do i hide the hook in the shell of a caster, or do i just put it on like i would a maggot? Sorry for all the questions, but this could be affecting my catch(or lack of it) Dave.

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

With bread.I use a hook as large as the fishery allows hook, just pinch the bread flake round hook shank This will hold it nicely. With corn just bury hook in for 2/3 piece thread the 1st 2 over hook &up hooklink put 3 rd on as descibed then pull other down to meet them, a no 10 fits nicely in 1 kernal of corn.

With meat, i as large an hook as fishery allows i use a piece of dry spaghetti break into small pieces about 12m/m -15 m/m long or if no spaghetti a blade of grass will do . i prefer not to use cubes i just break a piece of the block. push hook straight through , turn 90 degrees put small piece of spaghetti in bend &pull hook back till hook holds A single caster will hold a 16 hook nicely start off by inserting point of hook in round end then gradually turn hook round till hook is totally buried.A tip with casters wash them off,when you get them home . you'll always get some floaters putin seperate box use these for the hook.Put them back in a plastic bag squeeze air out put i pint in 2/3 pint maggot box fill with water this will help keep them from turning to quick .when on bank keep caster.'s in shade &always keep them covered in water.This what work's for me you'll probably get other ways posted as well try them all &choose what suits you out of them . with worm' s i always hoOk them twice .Then put maggot,corn. either side to stop worm wriggling off hook. hope this helps

Cheer's Larry

http://www.larrysworld.co.uk

mailto:larry@larrysworld.co.uk

Spangles.

For cheese paste try this, it holds the bait well and leaves plenty of hook exposed;

Thread a small bead onto your hook line, trap the bead in a small overhand loop, now tie on a hook using a knotless knot, as per a hair rig. Mold the paste round the bead. I find cheese paste stays on the bead better than on a hook, you can leave more hook exposed and get away with a smaller hook as well.

I find it works well for other pastes too.

Good luck. Adrian

For any paste bait a spring of the appropriate size works great. Put spring on hook (it should settle and stop at the curve of the hook nicely and cover the shaft) and mash paste into spring.

For fairly small hooks, the spring from a ball point pen does well. If that is too large, check with a shop that repairs clocks and watches. They have some very fine, small springs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for your replys lad`s, i feel more than confident with your methods. I have always been a little scepticle about using large hooks for course fishing, i generally stick to 16-20`s would i be better off using larger hooks? I was always told that the finer the tackle the better the chance of catching. I guess that this is a myth though? Thanks again. Spangles.

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.