American rod

dave_H1

While in America i bought a six foot shimano spinning rod it has no test curve described anywhere on it. I know this is a very broad question but i was wondering what sort of lure fishing would be best suited to it in england?

Thanks Dave

Sounds a bit like the one I bought Dave!! And mine is suitable for anything up to about an ounce casting weight I find. Anything larger and you are more likely to hook into something a bit big I reckon!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

It probably has a lure weight rating and a line recommendation written on it somewhere, something like 1/8 to 5/8 for a medium actioned spinning rod. Let us know what it says and you might get some more accurate advise on what it's best suited to.

Tim

Yup. Tim had it right.

If you look at the lure weight range and line weight range recommendations and action information that are printed on the rod near the handle, you can get a very good idea. Or put the information on here.

Just looked at one of my lure rods and found

IM-8 graphite

7'0"

Med Hvy Act

1/4 - 5/8 oz lure weight

6-17 lb line

90gm (which I assume is the rod weight)

I can't think of any additional knowledge I'd have if they stuck the T/C on there as well.

Speed information would have been nice though (extra-fast, fast, etc.).

For this rod, I'd know from the information that it would deal with most any larger lure I'd be likely to toss, would be great with a good pike on, and would be boring with a perch on.

Good quality graphite so I could easily go with a braid superline (to stay with a lower diameter) and thus be able to safely exceed the line & lure weight recommendations a bit. With the medium heavy action it won't flex too much too easily so tossing a larger lure won't cause the thing to whip too much on me.

And FWIW, there is no way I'd want to spend much time tossing 1/4oz lures on 6lb line with this rod. Way too much rod for that.

It does well with 30lb powerpro braid and 1/2 - 3/4 oz lures when I want to toss them a long distance as long as I use a 2 handed cast.

[ 31 July 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President