Mats are for all, but . . . . . . . ?

Peter Waller

Got to be honest - I'm not even sure why there's any debate about this? If the fish is too big or active to unhook without putting it on the ground then you should use a mat. If you can do it in the hand or in the landing net then OK, but otherwise it's mat time.

Seems to me that there is a curious double standard, a bit like Animal Farm - all fish are created equal but some are more equal than others!

***MAT WARNING***

Be very careful during hot bright weather to make sure that your mat has not been sitting in direct sun. Remember what it was like sitting on red-hot vinyl car seats when wearing shorts, then imagine what it's like for a cold blooded fish to be put on a hot mat!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

i always carry a wet bath sponge with me makes a great bleak unhooking mat :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I once saw someone lay a fish in the net, onto the ground, then lift the fish out of a net with dry hands and put it onto a dry unhooking mat - not good :(

I swing the fish, in the landing net, onto the unhooking mat (which gets the mat good and wet), push my hands down onto the wet net/mat to wet them, then unhook the fish.

I keep the fish in the net to put it back into the water, or if the fish is worth a photo and/or wighing, I cover the fish with the net to keep it calm whilst I ready my equipment (I prefer measuring to weighing, it takes less time).

If taking a photo, always do it from the kneeling position (not standing), with the mat beneath the fish in case it manages to wriggle out of your grip.

(I've learned the hard way that mullet can 'swim' out of your hands! It's like a rocket coming out of a launcher, which is why I now place a finger in the mullet's mouth whilst holding it - it can't shoot forward that way!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I wish al anglers were as well educated as us lot. But even Bob Nudd doesnt wet his hands when handling fish! In my relitivly short fishing life i have seen some bad handling of fish. for example a young angler of about 10 holding a tench in his jumper to stop it moving. I think images of bad handling are a reason for this. For example in the Kingfisher Booklet that is given with al Kingfisher Tackle it shows a boy holding a carp by the line. To dangle a carp of about 6lb of the line and hook us unheard of! :mad:

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com