Prescripton Polaroid Glasses, For Fishing. Advice Needed.

HERUTILUS

As Ever, Greetings Fellow Members, :)

I'm thinking about buying a pair of PRESCRIPTION polaroid sunglasses, the same to used primarily for still-water coarse fishing & driving, 'road' not 'golf'. DON'T FORGET NOW, THE SPECS MUST BE PRESCRIPTION.

I've just had my eyes tested & I've got the test results here. I intended to purchase the polaroid's from the opticians who did the eye test, but they were talking £90 plus just for the frames, I think I can get them cheaper than that?

So, my request is simple in content, thus:-

1] Who'll give me the best deal on a pair of 'reasonably stylish' prescription polaroids?

2] Is it advisable to purchase 'mail order' as opposed to 'local hands on'?

3] Brown or grey lenses, IYCF magazine recommend grey lenses for fishing use?

4] Can one purchase varifocal prescription sun-glasses?

5] Scratch proofed lenses, or does it matter?

6] Any other advise or comment as you see fit.

Hoping you can assist? :)

Regards,

The Roach :)

1) I use Specsavers and they are quite reasonable but I don't get the 'fashion' frames. In the 2 for ones I always get one pair with high specification and a spare 'emergency' pair with plain prescription lenses to keep in the car 'just in case'.

2) Never tried tbh.

3) Grey, Grey, Grey, as you get 'true' colour definition, just a reduction in light intensity. Possibly yellow for low light but not sure of the availability of yellow polaroids in prescription form.

4) I believe you can but also believe you will have to sell a kidney for them.

5) Depends on your own level of care really but I'd recommend it myself.

6) Invest in a good quality headstrap. Started using a neoprene one for kitesurfing and never looked back. I always use one near water now or when doing anything strenuous. Plus my Bright Orange one means I never lose/misplace my glasses.

Try to use your case and dont clean with clothing, use the microfibre cloth. Its what it is made to do.

Hope that helps a bit.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I don't wear glasses, so have no first-hand experience, but this site has been used by a few of our members over the years:

http://www.spex-4-less.com/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Whatever you go for, make sure they don't have the ridiculous slide-off rubber earpieces that were fitted on my Bolle Swishers (thankfully no longer made). These tend to come off and stay behind your ear when you remove the glasses, only to fall off and get lost because you don't feel them there and are usually concentrating too hard on your fishing to notice.

And you can't buy replacements! :angry:

??? Stylish ??? I don't know about stylish I have just bought (collected them yesterday I paid £109.00 all complete each) 2 pairs of Polaroid glasses one glass lens (which I prefer) one plastic lens. All prescription I prefer the American tear drop style personally as it prevents much of the lower glare when fishing I usually buy the frames from the States and get the glass put in over here.

This time I have bought smaller teardrop frames from Specsavers £45.00 per frame I cant tell you how much the lenses are as I have a very unusual prescription with prisms in the lens but the frames were cheap enough.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Whatever you go for, make sure they don't have the ridiculous slide-off rubber earpieces that were fitted on my Bolle Swishers (thankfully no longer made). These tend to come off and stay behind your ear when you remove the glasses, only to fall off and get lost because you don't feel them there and are usually concentrating too hard on your fishing to notice.

And you can't buy replacements! :angry:

Hello DavyR, :)

Thank you all for helping me out, I really appeciate the advise. But, Mr DavyR must take the prize for making me laugh (i.e.) "the slide-off ear pieces stick behind one's lugholes" , hilarous :D! 'Non-poser' things such as that happen me all the time! When I have a pint the bloody beer mat will insist in sticking to the bottom of the glass, one can lose 'poser points' for that you know. <_<

Regards,

Mr H :)

Mr. H

I use these people: http://www.optilabs.com/

They are reasonably cheap and do a great range of prescription polarised sunglasses for fishing; I have the Panther model but I am sure you will find somethig to suit.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.