India

Ken L

Not done a great deal of fishing since getting here. I fished the Tungabadra river and caught small marhseer and a snakehead on lures but almost all of the bigger fish seemed to have been wiped out by the locals with nets of every description as well as rod and line and the occasional grenade.

I had expected to find myself on the Krishna river but anyone travelling with the Lonely Planet guide should be aware that both the books all India and Karnataka state maps show its course incorrectly.

I'm back on the coast now and have discovered that the rivers hereabouts contain Barramundi. They're not present in great numbers but they are big. Fished last night without a touch but was talking to a french guy who has had fish upto 20kg in the last couple of weeks - needless to say I picked his brain without mercy.

I'll give it another bash tomorrow night and hopefully things should come together as the time of the tide should fall a bit better by then.

If I have rave success in the next couple of nights, I'll post details but otherwise, the next stop is Singapore.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm back in Goa at the moment and that's where the Barra are in the rivers.

No joy with the Barra but there have been some almighty fish chashing into the bait shoals and huge Barra and Queenfish jumping.

I doubt that it'll last though, there were 15 boats trawling within 1km of the river mouth the other day and from what I could gather from the locals, this is a recent thing - the big operators moving further afield because they've fished out their local area.

I did have an Estuary Cod of about a Kilo which caused much excitement until I put it back - at that point everyone agreed that I was mad.

You have to laugh at the local government who constantly drone on about wanting to develop high income and eco tourism and then allow a potential sport fishing industry worth millions of rupees go down the drain for the sake of a few thousand rupees worth of fish in the market.

Big Barra just 8 hours and a cheap charter flight from europe, just think about it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.