Swivels

Kitson

I have a couple of amateur questions regarding Swivels used with rigs.

I was reading up recently on how to build a hair-rig and noticed that it is commonplace to put a swivel before the hooklength.

what I want to know is:

does this not cause a 'weak' area in the rig, or is it even stronger than just having one line going through to the hook.

and

why do we use hooklengths anway?

Thanks

Kitson

I use hooklengths for three main reasons...

1. If the line is going to snap, I want it to be the hooklength. Quick and easy to replace and easy for the fish to shed. :)

2. If the line is going to snap, I don't want any fish trailing my terminal tackle and several yards of nylon around with it. Slow and expensive and difficult for a fish to lose :(

3. It makes changing to a larger or smaller hook when required or replacing a damaged hook a doddle. :)

You ask does using swivels weaken the rig?

The answer is yes :( ... any knots will weaken a rig to a degree, but this should be taken into account when deciding what mainline and hooklength to use. :)

Hope this helps...

[ 09 April 2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Dave Hill ]

Dave Hill:

....The answer is yes :( ... any knots will weaken a rig to a degree, but this should be taken into account when deciding what mainline and hooklength to use. ... :)

To add a little more confusion for you Kitson, there is a huge difference in the amount of weakening you get from a knot depending on the knot (and how well it is tied).

The knotless knot (love that name) is very nearly as strong as the line it is tied with.

The double palomar knot is basically the same strength as the line. A single palomar is only weaker than the line by a small amount.

Other knots can reduce to as little as 60% of the b/s of the line - and only if they are tied correctly.

You can see some illustrated knots Here. The knotless knot they show (not exactly the one I use) is also know in places as a snell or a snood.

There are some great knot sites around. Links from the Anglersnet main page to some.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The need for a separate hooklink used to ensure that the hook was tied to a weaker line than anything else so all you lost was the hook. Nowadays the tendency is to reverse the roles and the hooklink can be two or three times the main line depending what you are fishing for. :(

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Another reason for using a swivel is to prevent line twist. I always use one when trotting fast water. Try retreiving a double maggot from 40m without one and see how much twist has been imparted on your hook-length!!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog