FLYING PIKE

anglerusmaximus

I was down the lcal pond lure fishing.....i was doing this for an hour when i decided to pack it in. As i raised the lure out of the water a bl00dy pike leaped out of the water and onto the bank with this lure in it's chops. This pike leaped about 2ft out of the water!!!!

5 1/2 pounds it weighed.

Anyone else had this experience??

Never had luck with it myself, but some lure anglers suggest that twitching a lure up the bank will provoke a following pike to launch itself out of the water to grab it, before lunch gets away.

I recently hooked a brownie on a float-fished maggot intended for grayling. The brownie leapt clear of the water and spat the whole rig back onto the bank, into the teeth of a howling gale!

I think it was trying to tell me something!!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Do you mean to say you didn't make a flying leap to slide an unhooking mat under it before it landed? You'll have your PAC badge ripped off your jacket and your forceps snapped in half for an offence like that. It's a novel way of avoiding a slimed up landing net though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

That must have been fun to watch.

One trick that many experienced lure anglers in the US use for both pike and musky is when the lure is nearly at the boat to move it in a "figure of eight" pattern before taking it out of the water. Not unusual to have a fish follow the lure to the boat but not actually strike at it until it looks to be leaving. Should be possible to do the same sort of thing from the shore I imagine but have never tried it - don't lure fish from shore if I can help it and unless the boat is broke, I can help it. :D

Also - especially with spinner baits - you can occasionally run it fast and buzz it along the surface then let it stop and settle a few inches then buzz it again. Often some really savage strikes when it has started to buzz along the surface. Probably looks like prey about to escape and preds really HATE that. :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you ever have the chance to go Nile Perch fishing on Lake Nasser then you'll experience this. When shore fishing the fish are often right under your feet but under overhangs in the rock so you can't see them. It is not uncommon to get an attack just as you lift the lure out, and when it's a 4 foot plus fish it certainly makes you jump. I found that using a deep diving lure (Bomber Long A) you could get a lot of hits by cranking like crazy so that the lure was maybe 10 feet down but only 2 feet from the edge. They by sweeping the rod you could swim it up and down the rock face a few times as it surfaced and it would often generate strikes that a regular retrieve wouldn't.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Seen it happen when a mate hooked up on some old line on the middle Severn. Having 30lb braid on the reel, he just pulled the tackle tight so the lure was suspended a foot above the river and started to give the whole lot a couple of shakes before giving up and pulling for a break.

The lure jiggled above the river for a couple of seconds when a 7lb pike launched itself into the air and grabbed it.

As the jaws came together in the air, it sounded like a dog barking, but the good news was, it shed the snag and gave a top scrap before comming in.

BTW, he always pees on the bank now..........

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Haven't experienced this myself, but a friend was fishing on the Great Ouse Relief Channel one day when a large skimmer landed by the side of him. He picked it up and put it in his keep net. This happened twice more within five minutes. The next fish that landed next to him was a pike of around eight pounds! He was so suprised he fell backwards off his seat and missed the pike. The skimmers were obviously 'under attack' and leapt onto the bank to escape

anglerusmaximus:

cheers lads seems quite often they do that then ?!!

bl00dy thing scared me to death!! :D:D

and when its a 4 foot plus fish it certainly makes you jump

Not half as scared as I would be if a 4 foot perch lept out of the water at me!

Dan

[ 20 April 2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com