Running rigs for Carp,Bream etc etc..?!!

John 'BLOCK'

Anyone used running rigs and find that they miss or lose fish either through not a solid hook hold or that they strike too hard....a bit of a quandry i like the rigs as it lets me know when the bream are on as they don't seem to be able to shift heavy leads that well.I have experimented with a running rig with a bolt rig in the form of a stop bead further up the line usually about a foot or so..this seems to work quite well...i was wondering if any of you out there use running rigs and have any usefull tips...my main concern is the penetration of the hook which is not as good as a bolt rig !!I ahve always wondered how best to strike at runs...is it best to just shut off the baitrunner and let the tension of the line pull the hook home...or is best to actually strike at these runs ?!

I have a few theorys on this but i will wait to see everyones advice and experiences of this rige before delving into them :cool: :cool:

John "The Block" Westley

How about using a run clip, or perhaps an elastic band. If you leave a little slack line, the fish can pull a short way without feeling tension, then hits the clipped up line which would help set the hook, then run free again. I guess you'd need to find the balance between enough tension at the clip to set the hook, without stopping the bream in it's tracks.

Just a thought.

I've often done what spindle says except I use my bobbins as the clip is easily adjustable. You can then fish them like a drop off indicator.

However my questions would be simple.

What hooks are you using? Finer wire barbless hooks will very easily find a hold, whereas large carp style barbed hooks need large leads to pull them home.

It also may depend on the length of the tail. I've had the same problem when fishing for tench, but I believe it is because the tail was too short I kept hooking them with tiny hook holds right on the egde of the lips. When I lengthened the hook length I got more good hook holds and lost less fish.

Cheers for the input...i get the ideas of the line clips they sound cool may well experiment as i use them usually fishing at range....

my idea which i was not sure of was leaving a little bit of slack line on the running rig so there is some play and then using the tension on the baitrunner as a way of pulling the hook home.....i mainly use ESP (with microbarb)in sizes matched with bait size.

Do you think that would work as well ?

the running rig would indicate bites upto the point of the slack line being taken up and the fish hitting the baitrunner's tension...if it were a smallish bream then i would still know i had a bite...a carp obviously would tear away in the usual manner !!

let me know as i am keen to develop this idea and put it into practice...and any pros or cons you can think of would be geatly appreciated !!

Cheers :):)

John "The Block" Westley

On my own clubs pool we can only use free running set up's so iv'e done a little experimenting with set ups the one i favoured &got best results was i always fish with Emstat type feeder,was to take weight out of the end &just use the weight of the ground bait to cast out with.So when the groundbait has fell of your virtually freelining .After feeder has been in a while give reel handle 1/2 a turn this brings all the set up into a straight line, also brings hook length to front of baited area so when a fish is hooked you can pull it away without disturbing the rest of feeding fish i use traditional bait runner set up with rod pointing straight at baited hook you can use a bobbing bite indicator but i just wait till the free spool starts turning i dont strike really just pick up rod &give a slow upward movement the fish already as hook in mouth you only want to set it .I found if i struck violently the fish went of like a scalded cat .Doing it gently a lot the fish were turned &halfway to net before they realised they were hooked. This method has often caught me fish when others using weighted feeder's failed to catch.

:P:P

Cheer's Larry

http://www.larrysworld.co.uk

mailto:larry@larrysworld.co.uk