Fairs, festivals & tribal gatherings -

Paul Boote

Kate Hoey did a lot for angling and 'bats' very much in our corner. Really good to see her with the CA

lyn

PS. Your turn Peter, I can see this one turning into a 6 pager, get ready Newt :rolleyes::rolleyes:

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

lyn - I'll probably just confine myself to contributing on this one and leave the moding to the others. I figure a simple, "Anglers take warning: Hang together or Hang separately." about once per page (with slight modifications in the exact phrasing) should keep the discussion lively. :D

Just hope that in 1 or 5 or so years, I don't have occasion to say, "I told you so".

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

lyn -

Just hope that in 1 or 5 or so years, I don't have occasion to say, "I told you so".

So do I Newt, so do I :(:(:(

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

We would like to hang together Newt. It's the insidious worming in between us, by an outside body, purely for its own cynical ends, that worries many of us.

I know a few sceptics will jump on me for saying this, but anglers can, and do fight their own corners, and that's a FACT! We do not need to be used by the CA.

My last posting on this particular thread, its all been said before.

Was at a show last week and saw the CA there, saw someone promoting angling as well in the rural persuits ring, he was trying to get all anglers to join the ACA or some other guardian of the waterways and angling as a whole, he was also drumming up support for the trout and salmon association.

Didn't see anyone from the ACA, NFA, FACT or any of the other bodies that are supposed to represent angling though.

As this show has over 100,000 visitors over three days you'd think someone might have made the effort.

Well it does say fairs and festivals :)

Mark

Peter Waller:

We would like to hang together Newt. It's the insidious worming in between us, by an outside body, purely for its own cynical ends, that worries many of us.

I know a few sceptics will jump on me for saying this, but anglers can, and do fight their own corners, and that's a FACT! We do not need to be used by the CA.

My last posting on this particular thread, its all been said before.

Yup. Wholly agree. My last one, too, Peter.

Posting, as I go, however, the following newspaper editorial after hearing it mentioned on BBC Radio 4 just now:

The Voice of the Mirror, Daily Mirror, 23/7/05

VAUX HUNTING

VAUXHALL is an inner-city Parliamentary constituency scarred by serious social and economic problems.

Low wages, poverty, sub-standard housing, struggling schools, crowded hospitals, over-stretched social services and crime are a daily challenge.

The difficulties facing this patch of London will be familiar to those living in Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol, Birmingham or any of our large cities.

Fox-hunting is not on the list, which is why eyebrows were raised at Vauxhall Labour MP Kate Hoey's decision to accept the chairmanship of the rabidly pro-hunting Countryside Alliance.

Fox hunting is banned in law and we think "Tally Hoey" could better spend her time dealing with issues of interest to her constituents instead of trying to bring back blood sports.

The cry in Vauxhall is for houses, not hounds.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.