budget spod and marker reels

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

Hi folks can anyone give me some advice on budget spod and marker reels?

I have looked on line at the mitchel avocet 6500 which is on offer at £25 and the tf gear v8 vanquish which comes in 6000 , 8000, and 10000 sises at £47.99

not sure which sise to get but am also open to suggestions for other reel s in the same price bracket.

Im also looking for a spod rod for around £50

Edited by Chris Perch

I'd definitely have a look at a cheap beach reel, if budget is key. I used one perfectly well for years.

Be interesting to know if anyone has any experience of the cheap Okuma on this page:

CLICK HERE

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi folks can anyone give me some advice on budget spod and marker reels?

I have looked on line at the mitchel avocet 6500 which is on offer at £25 and the tf gear v8 vanquish which comes in 6000 , 8000, and 10000 sises at £47.99

not sure which sise to get but am also open to suggestions for other reel s in the same price bracket.

Im also looking for a spod rod for around £50

Chris send me £40 and I will send you a ceap beach rod and beach fixed spool reel! fact send £45 and I will buy a Permenant felt tip pen and write "Spod" on both of them as well! Pukka!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Chris Perch
Chris send me £40 and I will send you a ceap beach rod and beach fixed spool reel! fact send £45 and I will buy a Permenant felt tip pen and write "Spod" on both of them as well! Pukka!

Hmm yes but maybe i am a bit of a tackle tart - lol

Hmm yes but maybe i am a bit of a tackle tart - lol

LOL fair doo's Chris make it a round bullseye then and I will by a couple more pens and do a camo design as well! :lol:

If you can hang on till the New Tear I will build up enough energy to make the long trek into the loft and see if I have any of the Fox 5lb Spod rods left that I got in last year. They are second hand but good condition and if I have one left its your for £30.

On the reel front though seriously look at a cheap sea fishing fixed spool,the bigger the spool the better.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Look for a Shakespeare Salt Tidewater XD 80. Ive used one for a few years for spodding and its a dream. Think i paid 30 quidish delivered. Make sure you get the one with the shallow tapered spool, braid sits on these beautifully. Have even bought another pair for on the beach with braid.

As for a rod, i went secondhand from my local tackle shop and got a wychwood something or other. So many people get rid of spod and marker rods so it doesn't make sense to buy new if you don't have to.

Have got some cheap okumas from a while back, probably 7 or 8 years and i would get better line lay if i spooled up my dog. I know things have come on a bit since then though

Guest Chris Perch
LOL fair doo's Chris make it a round bullseye then and I will by a couple more pens and do a camo design as well! :lol:

If you can hang on till the New Tear I will build up enough energy to make the long trek into the loft and see if I have any of the Fox 5lb Spod rods left that I got in last year. They are second hand but good condition and if I have one left its your for £30.

On the reel front though seriously look at a cheap sea fishing fixed spool,the bigger the spool the better.

ok m8 i might take you up on that .

I'd definitely have a look at a cheap beach reel, if budget is key. I used one perfectly well for years.

Be interesting to know if anyone has any experience of the cheap Okuma on this page:

CLICK HERE

Not sure what the reel in your link is (i can't open it), but i use an Okuma for spodding. It has "Pro Beachcaster 380" Written on the side of it. It's got a good big spool, very nice line lay and it cost around £20 new about 7 years ago. Cast's and handles spod's very well.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep