centre-pin reel with/without line gaurd

ANDREW PAUL

I’ve been on a long waiting list for a Young’s Heritage Center-pin reel which has a removable line guard. Using the reel with a line supposedly helps in preventing line unraveling tangles in windy conditions. Is this true? The dealer has had other Young’s reels in stock that do not come with line guard. I’ve been holding out for Heritage because of dimensions 4.5” X .75” and the line guard. I would be using primarily for steelhead float fishing and carp in the summer. I appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of center-pin reels with line guards.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum Andrew. Sorry - can't help with the pins or the steelhead. Just wanted to say howdy.

But we do have some serious centerpin guys on here and surely some of them will offer thoughts.

How cold is it getting up New York way? Must be pretty cool since we are getting a little frost at nights even down here.

[ 01. November 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Andrew,I've got six centre pins and no line guards at all, but then that is how I've always done it.

Never having used a pin with a line guard I can't say that it would be better if you had one,but of course if you have a line guard, you can take it off if you don't like it, but not vice-versa.

Without a line guard, if wind is a big problem you can have the line coming off the top of the pin to simplify things a little.

If you are already fishing and wish to change the way the line comes off,I have in an emergency just let out more line than I need and then wound it back on the other way.

I've only ever had to resort to that a couple of times in many years though.

The obvious benefit of line guards, particularly to centrepin newbies, is the reduction of tangling. Certainly the pleasure you will get from owning and using your 'pin, and the fish you catch, will in no way be reduced by the use of a guard.

The other school of thought is that a line-guard hinders casting, particularly the wallis cast. The wallis cast is one of a few ways in which you can cast using a centrepin, and experts of the wallis cast (Alan Roe where are you!) will tell you that you can cast a fair old way using this style. The wallis cast is a pleasure in itself. Rather like fly-casting, in that it's an art within an art.

I would recommend you do a search on this forum for previous messages about 'pins, as there are quite a few threads now.

Welcome to the forum Andrew, and enjoy your 'pin!

Thanks for welcoming me Newt, AJP, and Spindle. Newt it’s getting colder here in New York, I live about 40 miles north of NYC and we’ve been having frost.

I have decided to wait for the Heritage model after reading advice from Spindle and AJP, I’m new at centerpin reels, I’ve been playing around with a Leeds Quest but it’s cheating with that ninety degree rotation. Anyway Thanks! ANDREW

Andrew - I lived in the City for a few years. Would have seemed way to cold for me except that I had moved there from Lake Michigan. Brrrrr on both. I like it warm and while you folks have beautiful country up there (once out of NYC/NJ) you got too much winter for me.

Nothing to do with your pin question but are you familiar with CAG (Carp Anglers Group)? Quite a few members up your way. I can send you links to join a couple of carping email lists if you want.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey Newt, Believe it or not I just subscribed to the CAG a couple of months ago. I thought I was the only person in the USA into catching Carp on a regular basis so I was surprised to find it on the net. I’ve checked out some UK sites and it’s interesting to learn the different rigs. Funny how un-pursued carp are in this country. I fish for them in the Hudson River 10 minutes from my house where the carp average 15 to 25 lbs and 30lbs plus pigs are common. Carp was the first fish I ever caught when I was in the 2nd grade and was hooked on fishing for them ever since. I did take a break for a long time fly fishing for trout, steelhead, ECT… but now the trout streams here in the Catskills seem overcrowded with high brow idiots, so I’m spending more time fishing for carp. Fighting a carp with a centerpin reel makes it real exciting!

Gotta go,,,,,, Andy