Another hour, another question... line

DookieDaveUK

Hello again

Time for idiots guide to fishing question 3

When loading up with line, i know there is no 'all round' line that i can use on all venus at all times, and it has been mentioned that it matters as to what you are after as to what line you use

The problem facing me, is that i dont know what i will be after lol, if i turn up at a particular still water or stretch of river virgin to me how am i supposed to know what is in there heh (yes i do realise i could phone ahead - but lets get real here, i am a bloke after all lol)

So, what i need is a beginners guide to choosing line really, what would you suggest for still waters, stretches of river for trotting or ledger work.

Would you generally use 6lb line or is that wayyyy too OTT for some fish and will spook them?, should i use 4lb as standard with weaker or stronger hooklengths

Which brings me to another question, hooklengths - whats the point lol, as far as i can tell you use a weaker line, doesnt this degrade the overall landing power of your rig?

It all boils down to 2 questions:

1) if i have 3 spools with my reel, what 3 line weights would you choose, my initial thoughts are 4lb, 6lb, 8lb depending upon conditions with 6lb being my general line... but as you have probably gathered i have no clue, im just going on gut feelings...

2) Hooklengths... whats the point...?

if you have 3 spools and your fishing is fairly mixed id opt for 3lb, 5lb and 8lb b.s.

the idea of hooklengths is twofold:

1. this creates a weaker part of the rig, so if u get snapped r snagged you dont lose yards of line and tackle, leaving a fish to trail around a potentially fatal burden.

2. hooklengths tend to be high-tech, pre stretched lines, having a lower diameter to breaking strain ratio, and often being more supple and clearer. so for example, waggler fishing for roach, id perhaps use 3lb breaking strain mainline at maybe 0.15mm diameter, with a 2.5lb hooklength at maybe 0.10mm diameter.

n.b. for running line I'd suggest a hooklength of between 8 and 18 inches.

Dave

Not sure what has happened to the folks who usually answer questions in some detail. Maybe they are all fishing?

At any rate, if you can just hang on I'm sure you will get some responses.

I live too far away and fish too differently to be of any help to you.

edit note: davidwhittington2000 - wasn't ignoring your post. You sent it while I was writing mine.

And welcome to the forum to both of you.

[ 22. June 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's all about balanced tackle. If you are targeting tench or barbel or (smaller) carp you need a 1.5 lb test curve rod with 4-8 lb line. If it is big carp and pike you are after then you need a 3lb rod and 15lb line. If you want silver fish then you need a rod with a very soft tip that helps you strike confidently without snapping your 1.5lb hooklength. Balanced tackle is the key, your hooklength should always be only slighter weaker than your main line and your mainline should match the test curve of your rod.

I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful replies.

However, one point I'll make is that it's much better to get a floating line for float fishing on rivers, and a sinking line for both float fishing on stillwaters and for ledgering anywhere. Using the wrong type is a common mistake, and can definitely cost you fish as your presentation will be adversely affected by current or wind, especially when float fishing.

Unfortunately, it's extremely rare for this information to be put onto the spool!

Most lines float, although less so when they've become used. Very few sink without treatment. Some of the ones that do include Maxima, Drennan Specimen Plus and Gold Label Pro Gold. For a field test of the latter go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

Incidentally, Drennan Specimen Plus seems identical to Maxima except that it's rated differently and is considerably cheaper! For instance 4lb Maxima = 5lb Specimen Plus.

Both these lines are very reliable, and a few years back were amongst the best on the market. Technology has moved on though, and IMO neither is anywhere near as good as modern co-polymer lines such as Pro Gold.

Unfortunately, I can't help with up to date information on floating lines as I haven't done any river float fishing for a few years, although it used to be one of my favourites. I used to find Trilene XL very good though.

[ 23. June 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net