How to fish a flooded River

stooby

Hi all,

I wanted to get some fishing in before coming back to work, with all the still waters frozen I wanted to giver the river a go, and armed with a new Quiver tip rod from Xmas I really wanted to get out there...

Unforutnately, the only opportunity I had was after the thaw of the snow, this let to very fast flowing and flooded river.... I was not familiar with the river and had never fished it before and therefore I didnt know where the snags were etc.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fish a very fast flowing, muddy flooded river? I had no idea of even where to start, and not wanting to ruin my gear first time out I packed up and went back home in a huff....! :angry:

Cheers,

Stooby...

Find a slack - an area of slow water out of the main current, ideally on your own side of the river. Use your new quivertip rod to fish a lobworm or a big lump of something smelly like cheesepaste or luncheon meat in the slack. I've had some memorable days floatfishing maggots or casters in this kind of situation too, just letting the float trundle around in the slack, but a big smelly bait nailed to the bottom would be my first choice.

What he said! Also don't expect too much, a high, brown river full of snow melt is as hard as it gets. Try to catch it when the suspended particles have dropped out and the level is dropping, especially if it coincides with mild weather.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for the tips! I shall keep a keen eye on it and see how it goes in the next few days / weeks!.... fingers crossed I get some good fishing in soon, it's been far toooooooooooooooooooooooo long!

Cheers,

Stu...