Lessons learned

fruitloopy

This is one of those "Ones that got away" stories but at least I learned something very valuable from it.

In another topic of mine I have been talking about stalking some carp and I have now built up some valuable experience from this. I caught a nice 13.5lb'r last week but I know that there are bigger ones in this lake so I went back there last night to fish during the magic hour.

I used a prawn on a size 8 hook, 15lb mainline and 10lb hooklength. I prepared some prawn by putting it breifly in a blender and just mashing it up. When I threw this in it created a lovely fishy cloud and once I had cast a fresh prawn in I had a bite almost straight away. Unfortunately this one came off the hook.

I knew these guys would have swam off somewhere else now because they know I am there...clever little buggers!

I crept over to a dark corner but quickly got caught up in a tree above me when I tried to cast out further than I should have dared. After the line snapped and left my short hooklength up in the tree I briefly considered stripping off some line from the reel and re-tyeing my swivel and hooklength. I really should have listened to my nagging doubts about this.

I have since learned that they like to hang around under a tree so I crept over there and decided to freeline a worm below it. All I could do was to keep the line slack and watch for it to go tight, I didnt have to wait long. After a couple of minutes I almost had the rod torn out of my hand...the clutch screamed and a real heavy fish took off towards the far bank. I didnt have much time to do anything when suddenly the line snapped.

Aaarrgghh! :wallbash:

He felt really big as well (my personal best is 13.5lb so he felt big to me anyway) but at least I will learn a lesson from it. When I snapped the line from the tree the knot on the swivel must have weakened. I know the fish was big but I should have been in contact with it a lot longer on a 15lb line.

Can I ask for any advice or skills needed for freelining baits or should I start a new topic? I do think this worked in this lake as these carp are very wary and there's been many times I have had a bite when using a float but they seem to shy away from it, even when dotted down to a few millimetres. I think maybe its because I am fishing right above them?

As far as I can see, you're doing everything right - especially as now you're going to carefully examine any potential weak spots in your tackle at regular intervals. I'm sure we've all lost big fish at one time or another because (usually in the excitement of the "hunt") we neglect to carry out these essential checks.

You may want to consider changing all your reel line! 15lb line should be very very hard to snap! What make is it? How old is it? What knots are you using?

In comparison a few weeks ago I snagged with 12lb line and as I pulled for a break I found I couldn't! I began to worry the reel might have given up before the line (long story short I moved the snag and got everything back).

Rich

You may want to consider changing all your reel line! 15lb line should be very very hard to snap! What make is it? How old is it? What knots are you using?

In comparison a few weeks ago I snagged with 12lb line and as I pulled for a break I found I couldn't! I began to worry the reel might have given up before the line (long story short I moved the snag and got everything back).

Rich

When free lining I would go straight through and not use a swivel, your bait will take a few seconds more to sink.

I have found even a lead shot pinched on the line weakens it, when you are in direct contact with your hook you can have the confidence to play the fish hard.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

As far as I can see, you're doing everything right

We don't know that yet: one common error I've often seen when close range fishing is pointing the rod more or less directly at the fish, when you get a take in those circumstances it can be all over very quickly as even with 15lb line you need the spring of the rod to buffer it.

Rich

Its a new spool of 15lb Diawa Sensor, I bought it as it was well recommended. I'm using grinner knots on hook and swivel.

I did some more freelining last night and found it to be quite a success. Pulled in a lovely 12.5lb Common using the same setup, 15lb mainline and 10lb hooklength. I think the reason I use the hooklength is in case I do snag up or the line snaps and hopefully the fish will only have a short hooklength attached to him. It also allows me to give a slightly better presentation as this line is really quite springy and the swivel seems to keep it rooted down. I have read all kinds of tips about correctly spooling a line to your reel but the bloody stuff still keeps springing out!

In response to Ayjay, he initially pulled my rod and my arm down but I recovered and was holding my rod up with a lovely bend in it when it snapped. On closer examination of the line yesterday it felt rough near to where it snapped, possibly indicating being rubbed against something, maybe a tree branch. There were still remnants of the knot at the end.

I do enjoy this freelining method so I will post a new topic asking for hints a tips of best ways to do it. In the meantime I hope you enjoy my carp.

Cheers.

post-14080-1212741919_thumb.jpg

That's a nice carp, and a great way to fish for them. I don't think you're doing much wrong really, sounds to me like you were unlucky with the break and that it went because the line was damaged.

Before recasting (every time) check your line and your hook point - if the line feels damaged or the hook isn't totally sharp, change them. It's annoying, especially when you've got fish feeding in front of you, but it has to be done otherwise you'll regret it! On my last session I changed hooks and hooklengths umpteen times - I hated it every time! I always just want to get the bait out again asap. But I didn't suffer the horrible sinking feeling of losing a fish, so it was definitely worth it.

Modern hooks blunt pretty easily, don't be tempted to risk it.

Aside from that, sounds like you've cracked it :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

In response to Ayjay, he initially pulled my rod and my arm down but I recovered and was holding my rod up with a lovely bend in it when it snapped. On closer examination of the line yesterday it felt rough near to where it snapped, possibly indicating being rubbed against something, maybe a tree branch. There were still remnants of the knot at the end.

Remnants of the knot remaining suggests to me that the knot has failed in some way, a break in the line, even the smallest fraction of an inch from the knot will leave no trace of the knot. I would think the initial pull will have done the damage. Grinner knot is usually OK although I much prefer a Palomar knot. The same knot tied by two different people can show different results so it's always worth considering something else.