BARBEL

Polly

Hi All,

I'm back from hols and after info as usual.

Moving to Papworth Everard shortly which is near the river Ouse. I've heard there are some good spots for barbel on the river above Bedford. Are there any near to St Neots or Paxton. I took a ride out there last Sunday and the river did not look very "barbely" to me, just sluggish and weedy, no gravel runs with quick flowing water to be seen anywhere I checked out.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers - Phil

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Polly

The conditions you describe are indeed the preferred spots for barbel, but that doesn't mean that they can't be found elsewhere. I have caught them in ten foot of slow moving water, and a then Severn (16lb I think) was caught by a Mr ________s back in 1977 season in the lower Severn, so they can be found. Good luck, and I hope you find some. :)

framey:

your fishing too far down the ouse for the barbs

Thanks for this but is "barbeling" some sort of masonic thing? How far is too far? Where should I be looking? To my reckoning the Ouse flows (after Paxton) through Godmanchester and onto St Ives I've fished may lakes in this area and never heard of Barbs being caught from the nearby Ouse. Or do you mean towards Bedford? an area totally new and alien to me.

Please share yor wisdom!!!!

framey:

your fishing too far down the ouse for the barbs

Come on Framey I'm still waiting!!! Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase tell me where these HOT barbel swims are, I promise not to tell another living sole. I thought it was only the Monster Carp & Pike boys who didn't share their wisdom with each other.

I suppose when I do find these stretches (and I will...... so there!!!) it'll cost me 2 years salary for an exclusive membership.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS CATCH A BL''DY BARBEL FOR GOD SAKE.

Phil, barbel in the area you are talking about are very few and far between but do exist. I have been trying a few areas but to no avail so far - you will have to go above bedford to find better populations have a look at the wesites for local clubs. and it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg! Barbel fishing world would normally be worth a go but nobody seems to know about barbel in this area!

Hi Polly,

Above Bedford check out Oakley ,Turvey/Lavendon, Club tickets probably from Sportsmans Lodge shop at Bedford and Bleak Hall tackle ( i think?) at Kempston and other Bedford Tackle shops.

Through Olney and Emberton Park.

FRom Tirringham Bridge up though Newport Pagnell stopping just Before Adams Mill = Newport Pagnell F.A, year book £30 Plus £5 Gates access key from Post Office High St, N/Pag.

Milton Keynes A.A. http://www.mkaa.co.uk maps and details and tickets online!

All these are between 15 and 40 mins from St .Neots.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Polly, please look on page 3 of this board Re Jay's lakes 17th Aug, hoping for help in return please :)

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

framey:

polly not being secretive just wastnt able to get on the pc (kids beat me all the time) chevck out the rmc web site vauxhall, verulam, MKAA and barbel fishing world and all will be revealed

Thanks Framey, Know the problem.